2017 F250 question

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Has anyone ever had this issue? Yesterday I went down to the boat and began the tilt to lower the engines. The tilt portion worked fine, but when got to the trim the engines would not trim down but the pumps were working. I watched the trim pistons retract and only the right one on each engine was moving, the left pistons were stationary. Eventually after raising and lowering the engines the trim did start to engage again. I thought it was strange that this happened to both engines, any thoughts?

seasick

Reaction score
I can not understand why this problem would occur with both motors at the same time. Other than batteries, there is nothing common to the two tilt systems
Are you sure that one or both motors weren't acting up before you had the problem with both.
Do you use the safety latch when docked/stored. Did someone else possible disengage it on this past outing?
Have you checked the tilt system oil level . Low oil and air could explain it but not both motors at the same time.

Were you in very shallow water:)

Reactions: Legend

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I can not understand why this problem would occur with both motors at the same time. Other than batteries, there is nothing common to the two tilt systems
Are you sure that one or both motors weren't acting up before you had the problem with both.
Do you use the safety latch when docked/stored. Did someone else possible disengage it on this past outing?
Have you checked the tilt system oil level . Low oil and air could explain it but not both motors at the same time.

Were you in very shallow water:)

The two engine issue is what stumped me too. Never use the safety latch - the boat is in a marina with about 10 feet of water, oil is full. I use the boat 3 time in the past week and both engines were fine. Batteries all fully charged and on shore power. I did try both the helm and direct engine switches and was getting the same response. I am headed back there today to see what it does. Good thing it is still under 5 year(3+2) warranty but I do not want to travel back to the dealer and lose a week worth of boating! if I can avoid it. Thanks for your help

seasick

Reaction score
Very odd indeed. You may just have to have the dealer look at it, assuming the problem is repeatable. Otherwise they may thinks you're nuts!
Let us know what happens, it may be a known manufacturing issue that we haven't heard of ( YET)

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Very odd indeed. You may just have to have the dealer look at it, assuming the problem is repeatable. Otherwise they may thinks you're nuts!
Let us know what happens, it may be a known manufacturing issue that we haven't heard of ( YET)

Well dropped off the boat at the dealer a couple of days ago and heard back today. Yamaha is sending two complete trim and tilt units to replace the defective ones. Both units had failures at the same time. I still find that hard to believe but the service manager said Yamaha did not question him so that led him to believe that this is a known problem. Mystery solved, I was just glad the issue replicated itself when I brought it in!