208 Adventure Deck Hatch Gas Storage-Why Not?

DonW

Reaction score
H All-
I recently purchased a '97 208 Adventure and want to add a kicker motor (already have the bracket on the port transom).
I can buy a 2 stroke 8 hp long shaft Tohatsu for a fair price. My question is, can the 3 gal fuel tank and gas line be stored in the deck hatch area? (I am not sure of what this area is for, it sits directly in front of the motor well in the cockpit and is unfinished fiberglass). It fits in there, and is basically useless space otherwise. I hate having the fuel tank taking up valuable cockpit space!
I can lift up the ~2 1/2ft x ~1 1/2ft hatch cover and easily fit the 3 gal fuel tank and fuel line in it.
Wonder what other folks use this area for, and if anyone has done this. Thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,
Don

seasick

Reaction score
DonW said:
H All-
I recently purchased a '97 208 Adventure and want to add a kicker motor (already have the bracket on the port transom).
I can buy a 2 stroke 8 hp long shaft Tohatsu for a fair price. My question is, can the 3 gal fuel tank and gas line be stored in the deck hatch area? (I am not sure of what this area is for, it sits directly in front of the motor well in the cockpit and is unfinished fiberglass). It fits in there, and is basically useless space otherwise. I hate having the fuel tank taking up valuable cockpit space!
I can lift up the ~2 1/2ft x ~1 1/2ft hatch cover and easily fit the 3 gal fuel tank and fuel line in it.
Wonder what other folks use this area for, and if anyone has done this. Thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,
Don
That is where the fresh water tank(10 gallon) would be if you had that option. I would be concerned about a tank in there, at least a portable one, since it would not be vented to the outside and fumes could accululate in that area and into the bilge.

bfrank

Reaction score
seasick said:
That is where the fresh water tank(10 gallon) would be if you had that option. I would be concerned about a tank in there, at least a portable one, since it would not be vented to the outside and fumes could accululate in that area and into the bilge.

:uhm yea!

DonW

Reaction score
Why not just plumb a second fuel line off your fuel/water separator?

It's a 2 stroke motor.

So what do people so with this space?...Seems like it could be used for storage at least.

cedarholm

Reaction score
I have a 1993 209.

I use that space for electric downrigger batteries. Built a little shelf in there. I unsealed the hatch so it's easily removable.

I don't see a problem putting a portable fuel tank in there as long as you get some air flow thru there.

My kicker is a T8, so I just plumbed a second line.