208 Radar Arch Installation

Mark DV

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
hello all. I have decided to add a radar arch to my 208 Adventure this winter. Any advice on installation. Specifically backing plates. I plan on doing a side mount. I may use 1/2 inch G10 fiberglass epoxy board as a backing plate. Here is a link to what I'm installing. https://www.fishonsports.com/320.html Any advice? Thanks

seasick

Reaction score
Make sure the side mount clears the hardtop mounts. The G10 board or coosa will work but they need to be bedded to make sure that maximum contact is attained. That said, I would probably use aluminum plate, cut and drilled as needed. Same need for bedding. A nice layer of 5200 will work well on the aluminum. For the fiberglass or coosa, I would opt for epoxy. Note that the aluminum can't crack. The composites in theory could.
Add large washers and nylock nuts.
Make sure that you install any wires needed but if none on day one, install a drag line or two for later on.

Mark DV

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Great ideas. I like the aluminum plate idea. Any thoughts on what size for backing plates? dimensions and thickness

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd do metal backers if I had a choice. Depending on substructure you could add tube spacers (plastic tubes one size larger than bolt you plan to use) to ensure there is no collapse of the deck when you tighten everything down. You shouldn't need if you are going through a wood cored area but if something softer, look into these. Seal side walls with 5200 if you do. I like to use the phenolic washers where different metals contact (al top and likely SS screws) again, not a requirement. As stated above, seal well as these points can be a point of future water immersion. Also if you are doing any welding to the structure, do it before you pull wires. Good tip above to have a drag line of two for future additions (lights, horn etc). This will make life much easier.

seasick

Reaction score
I assumed that for side mount, crushing the coring won't be an issue since I expect the side of the helm mold to be solid.

Mark DV

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Correct. The side is solid FRP

Fishtales

Reaction score
I believe it is, general comments - take what makes sense.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I’ll be following this.
I’ve been kicking around the idea on mounting a radar arch with my soft top maybe something I can fold down while transporting and storage.

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
It's been so long since I've had the side panels off, and I didn't do the original install, so I don't remember how ours is backed. But I'll pull a side panel off and take some photos when I get a chance.

IMG_7177.JPG

Mark DV

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Great. Thanks. I would like to see how yours is backed up. I will probably end up over thinking it and over engineering it but thats what I do.

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Here it is. The superstructure is at least 1 inch thick plywood, maybe 1.5”. Whatever it is, it’s thick. The radar arch is thru-bolted with flat washers. Looks like low grade 18-8 stainless was used as they are looking a bit rusty after 23 years.
0FA0BCB3-991D-4DDC-8FE1-07DB0325033C.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Lt.Mike

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Here it is. The superstructure is at least 1 inch thick plywood, maybe 1.5”. Whatever it is, it’s thick. The radar arch is thru-bolted with flat washers. Looks like low grade 18-8 stainless was used as they are looking a bit rusty after 23 years.
View attachment 17512
Best to replace with doubled up “fender” washers which are easily twice the width of a standard washer. Get them at Lowe’s.

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Best to replace with doubled up “fender” washers which are easily twice the width of a standard washer. Get them at Lowe’s.

While that’s not a bad idea, they’ve been on there 23 years with zero signs of stress, so I don’t think it’s really needed.

seasick

Reaction score
If your coring is similar, backing plates probably aren't needed. Either stainless or galvanized washers will work. I am not sure if the fender washers at Lowes are galvanized.
I would still use a bead of 5200 under the washer to help 'distribute the load evenly. Do not super tighten the nuts, just enough to hold things and cause a little 5200 to ooze out. After the 5200 has set up (maybe a day) retighten the nuts.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Great that you have such access and a solid surface. Should make installation much easier.

Mark DV

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
If your coring is similar, backing plates probably aren't needed. Either stainless or galvanized washers will work. I am not sure if the fender washers at Lowes are galvanized.
I would still use a bead of 5200 under the washer to help 'distribute the load evenly. Do not super tighten the nuts, just enough to hold things and cause a little 5200 to ooze out. After the 5200 has set up (maybe a day) retighten the nuts.
What do you mean by coring? The fiberglass wall on boat?

seasick

Reaction score
What do you mean by coring? The fiberglass wall on boat?
In the photo posted as an example, the wall appears to be fiberglass over something that looks like plywood which is quite strong and not easily compressible as a foam coring would be.
If you have a softer construction, backer plates will help distribute the load over a larger area.