208 with Yamaha F150 Outboard.. low power

monty

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 1997 208...I absolutely love this boat. I live in Newfoundland, Canada. Lots of rough water.

Does anyone have any experience with the Yamaha F150 (2004) with low RPMs and low power.
Tried seperate fuel tank..therefore this eliminated fuel tank, fuel and all other associated eqpt.
Tried new prop , lower pitch....no change
Cleaned all injectors...no change
Used Seafoam twice in two lots of 5 gallons of gas ..no change

any suggestions would be appreciated.
monty

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
What exactly are the symptoms you're seeing? The F150 is right at the minimum horsepower for the boat, bordering on under-powered, in my opinion. Especially when loaded up with fuel, gear, people, rough water, and whatever else (I'm sure there will be some that disagree with me, given on how their boat is used). Most all the 208's I see (in southern California) have F200's on them. 4-strokes don't put out as much low-end torque as the equivalent horsepower 2-stroke, so it's possible you may not be able to get more out of the motor than you already are at the lower RPM's. But a more detailed description of your symptoms would be helpful.

CKJR

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
is the wide open rpm within yamaha specs.

bfrank

Reaction score
My uncle had a 208 with the F200 and once he put the hard top on we both thought it was under powered. Prior it was ok but I can't imagine running an F150.

gradydriver

Reaction score
Have the same boat with a 200....you're going to be asking a lot from a 150....have you had a leak down test?

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I thought the F200 was underpowered on my 208. I now have a different 208 with a 200 hpdi. That hpdi has so much more power I can't describe how much better it is. I would think the F150 would be painful.

Average Joe

Reaction score
I have a 04 208 with an F150 and it does fine. I won't win any races but it easily hits the upper 30's (mph) with 2-3 people. I've been told the prop horsepower rating for that motor is actually closer to 165 hp.