20ft Overnighter with a single 120hp Force

captbone

Reaction score
I could not believe my eyes the other day, I saw an older (brown strip) 20ft Grady White Overnighter with a single 120hp Force. The boat was in great shape but I thought to myself a single 120hp?? I stopped and was able to talk to the guy at the marina and he said that it planes off fine and the guy fishes with his buddy all the time. I could not believe it that it would work but the owner was happy.

I have been on a 20ft Adventure with a single 140hp Evinrude (both mid 1990s) and it planed off with 6 adults on it.

Has anyone seen a 20ft Grady with a single 115hp?

What about the opposite end, a single 250hp/300hp?

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
What about the opposite end, a single 250hp/300hp?

Haven't seen a 250/300, but I've fished from a 20' Overnighter with a Yam 225. It would run like a scalded dog that stole something! :shock:

timo14

Reaction score
Mine tops out at 44 with a full tank and 4 people on board. It is only rated for 230 hp, so a 250 is not an option, unless you swap out some stickers :wink:
I usually cruise around 35 mph... dont recall how many rpm's its turning. I hate winter.
I had a 150 Merc (2 stroke) on it for a while, thank god i blew it up. Trying to get out of the water on a slalom ski required a snorkel.

Protek9543

Reaction score
I have an 81 Overnighter w/ a 200 yami and it blasts out of the hole with a 17 and a 19 pitch prop.

John

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The max HP ratings were increased for '07...the 205, 208 and 209 are now rated for a maximum 250 hp.

I would imagine that any one of these boats, when rigged with a 250, would require you to "hold on tight".....

Average Joe

Reaction score
The firstprobem you mentioned is it's Force motor. My 208 is equpped with a F150 Yammie and in my opinion that's the bare minimum. It does fine with two or three adults but after that you can feel a drop off in performance.

ScottM

Reaction score
I just joined the site since I recently purchased a '78 Overnighter. It has an older 115 Evinrude that the previous owner said performed along the lines of the above mentioned boat with the 120 Force. I tend to be a bit pessimistic and want to repower with at least a 150. The local G-W dealer told me to stick with a carb'd 2-stroke due to the 20-inch transom and keeping things light. Any recommendations? I'm not looking to go brand new necessarily, but would if the right deal came along.

This is a great site and I look forward to contributing as well as learn more about these boats.

Scott

timo14

Reaction score
Scott,
Welcome aboard!
Look around for a lightly used yamaha 200 HPDI. In my opinion, that is the best power option for the overnighters.

gw204

Reaction score
My Dad used to have a '77 204 CC with a 115 Evinrude and it pushed that boat just fine. Wasn't a speed demon but he didn't want/need it to be.

Bill T.

Reaction score
ScottM said:
I just joined the site since I recently purchased a '78 Overnighter. It has an older 115 Evinrude that the previous owner said performed along the lines of the above mentioned boat with the 120 Force. I tend to be a bit pessimistic and want to repower with at least a 150. The local G-W dealer told me to stick with a carb'd 2-stroke due to the 20-inch transom and keeping things light. Any recommendations? I'm not looking to go brand new necessarily, but would if the right deal came along.

This is a great site and I look forward to contributing as well as learn more about these boats.

Scott

Scott,

I like you just purchased a 204C (1987). It came with a 1987 Yamaha 150 Hope this will be enough to move the boat. If not HMmmmm... think Mom will go for a repower? Me either. By the way, I'm in Weymouth.

ScottM

Reaction score
Bill T. said:
Scott,

I like you just purchased a 204C (1987). It came with a 1987 Yamaha 150 Hope this will be enough to move the boat. If not HMmmmm... think Mom will go for a repower? Me either. By the way, I'm in Weymouth.

Hi Bill,
Mom already blessed my repower...as long as I sell the other boat first! :roll: Where do you keep your boat? Mine will be at Hewitt's Cove.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Scott -

The 4 stroke 150HP outboards today are inline 4 cylinder engines, the two strokers always been V6 engines. The inline 4 stroke 4 cylinder and V6 two strokes are similar weight. And you get a 20 inch lower unit.

Bill T.

Reaction score
ScottM said:
Bill T. said:
Scott,

Hi Bill,
Mom already blessed my repower...as long as I sell the other boat first! :roll: Where do you keep your boat? Mine will be at Hewitt's Cove.

Scott,
I sent you PM (private Message)