22-8 Installing yamaha T8 Kicker

hangman1176

Reaction score
Installing a kicker on my 22-8. I have my aux bracket and wondering if anyone has some advise on the install as far as best placement. I have the panther 35 bracket. I do have the specs and have narrowed down a spot but have yet to drill the holes.

HMBJack

Reaction score
When I had my 228, I put my T8 on the Starboard side as it countered the right hand turn of the main engine's prop which lowers your transom to port (prop turns clockwise). If you put the T8 to Port, you add to the right hand trim problem. Plus, you battery weight is to port as well. The T8 is close to 150lbs. One Battery is close to 70 lbs. so it made sense to put the T8 on Starboard. I had no regrets. Hope this helps you. Good luck.

uncljohn

Reaction score
First of all make sure you use the biggest stainless washers you can find for backing. When I got my 228, the 1" wide washers that were original had been pulled into the fiberglass and wood so the kicker bracket was separated from the transom by a good half inch.

I sold my kicker. I live on the Chesapeake and during spring trolling season, its too windy and choppy for a kicker to do anything except troll downwind. During the summer trolling season, you can't push 6-8kts with a kicker to keep up w/ spanish macs. So I got rid of mine and got Sea Tow.