223 Tournament Gil bracket install

223Tony

Reaction score
I have a 1982 223 Tournament model. The transom had to be replaced, so I decided to raise the transom and install an engine bracket. I found a used Gil bracket with 26" set back. This bracket looks like some of the factory installed brackets.
I have a reputable shop in Houston doing the work. The shop owner and myself are discussing how high to mount the bracket.
Is there anyone out there that has a 223 Tournament or similar hull with the factory mounted Gil bracket on it? Can you measure the distance between the bottom of the bracket and the bottom of the hull? I am running a 250 EFI Merc with a 25" leg. I have read that the motor needs to be mounted 2 to 3 inches higher when using a bracket with this amount of set back. Thanks for the help!
Tony

223Tony

Reaction score
A gentleman by the name of Eddie Rowe from the customer relations department at Grady White was kind enough to send me a PDF drawing of the installation guideline. This gives measurements for installing the Grady Drive bracket on four different Grady White models. The 225, 228, 232S and 232D. Good info.
Thanks again Eddie!.

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I know that there is a informal rule when it comes engine height. On a notched transom boat, the anti ventilation plate is generally placed even with the keel. On bracket mounted boats, you can raise the anti ventilation plate 1" for every foot of setback. The mounting of the bracket is another matter, but I think that you want to end up with that anti vent plate 2 " above the keel..or at least have that capability. Glad that Grady was so helpful.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
You're delving into an area where most folks sight down their thumb and come up with TLAR. GW told you the brackets for that vintage boat were manufactured by Springfield, right? I'm pretty sure they were installed so a 25" motor was neutral (allowing adjustment up or down) when mounted in the second or third hole. Don't know how 'Gill' brackets are mounted, but you should find out before mounting your bracket. Once that occurs, your motor adjustment options become limited ... :uhm

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The springfields were set on transom to mount engine to bracket the lowest down in hole selection. As I read on Grady provided instructions.

You may raise engine higher therefore not lower, by Grady/engine dealer as delivered setup to customer.

On the newer drive design on the Gulfstream, I've seen the setup set teh motor in one hole down from top hole, typical of all engine mounts besides drives on Gradys, I've noticed.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
1st paragraph: as delivered the motor can't be lower (top hole)