225 Yamaha Exhaust tubes..

OBX Sailfish

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
15765916507574091618550518909901.jpg
Just wanted to post a photo of my 225 exhaust tubes on my 2005 Yammies. They have 300 hours on them and frankly was going to wait til next year to get them replaced but opted to get them done now due to another small issue the 282 had to be in the shop for. Chris at Burleson Marine told me even one more trip offshore would have caused a total engine failure since the corrosion was almost into the head. Just want to reiterate that the threat is real. Don't take a chance if you have a 200 - 250 from 02 through the first generation.. it's an expensive toss of the dice...even tho my port tube looks better there was already corrosion starting as well. And last thing shop your mechanic. I was quoted as much as 6500 a side to change the midsection but had it done for 1800.

seasick

Reaction score
Sorry you had the issue but glad you got it in time. Your picture is great!

Reactions: Capnjim7

Fishtales

Reaction score
Those look bad, glad you addressed prior to a mech failure. How bad was the thick plate that is under the power head?

OBX Sailfish

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Those look bad, glad you addressed prior to a mech failure. How bad was the thick plate that is under the power head?
The connection port for the tubes to the midsections had corrosion as well. Fortunately they replace all of that as well. Until I had the work done I was under the impression all they replaced was the tubes(tuners) But it is the entire midsection and pan that attached to the power head... impressive amount of work and parts.

Fishtales

Reaction score
yes, it is a big job. bigger if you end up doing the other things while she is torn down. I did both of mine about 3 years ago.

Shannon C.

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
View attachment 10103
Just wanted to post a photo of my 225 exhaust tubes on my 2005 Yammies. They have 300 hours on them and frankly was going to wait til next year to get them replaced but opted to get them done now due to another small issue the 282 had to be in the shop for. Chris at Burleson Marine told me even one more trip offshore would have caused a total engine failure since the corrosion was almost into the head. Just want to reiterate that the threat is real. Don't take a chance if you have a 200 - 250 from 02 through the first generation.. it's an expensive toss of the dice...even tho my port tube looks better there was already corrosion starting as well. And last thing shop your mechanic. I was quoted as much as 6500 a side to change the midsection but had it done for 1800.
Man, I’m glad you got that done when you did!! I had the port exhaust kit put in a couple of weeks a go ( I’ve got pics somewhere on this forum) and was quoted 1900 which I thought was fair and then when it was in the shop I also had both timing belts replaced, 3200 out the door. When I went in to pay up, my mechanic said that a 30 marlin at my marina came in with 7000hrs and still running strong, same year 05 as mine and same 250’s! Peace of mind I guess.

Reactions: OBX Sailfish

Fishtales

Reaction score
The F225/250/300s are pretty darn solid engines as you say. Other than that preventative action, I have not had one issue on my F250s in 13 seasons.

Capnjim7

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Man, I’m glad you got that done when you did!! I had the port exhaust kit put in a couple of weeks a go ( I’ve got pics somewhere on this forum) and was quoted 1900 which I thought was fair and then when it was in the shop I also had both timing belts replaced, 3200 out the door. When I went in to pay up, my mechanic said that a 30 marlin at my marina came in with 7000hrs and still running strong, same year 05 as mine and same 250’s! Peace of mind I guess.
Wow..thanks for sharing. I know so many people with these blocks that throw the dice. Some have done well...others not so much. Even the good tube on my port side would have failed in a couple of hundred hours. I love hearing people talk about the longevity of these motors.. I had 225's on an 03 Marlin and a 270 World Cat and loved them .

Capnjim7

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The F225/250/300s are pretty darn solid engines as you say. Other than that preventative action, I have not had one issue on my F250s in 13 seasons.
That's awesome. So did you have your 06' 250 tuners replaced? I have a pal with an 06 250 who is on the fence as whether to have it done or not.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I know other parts of the 225 are susceptible to premature corrosion failure, but I have wondered if this is across the board for just certain years.
Many of the Grady's I have been looking at have these 225's. My concern is to fix the exhaust and then have a power head failure from water ingestion elsewhere. How real of an issue is that and can it be identified ahead of time?

Shannon C.

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
As far as power head failure, I don’t know if it can be checked without pulling it. I have 05 250’s, so when I had it surveyed both were scoped and needed replace, I just crossed my fingers that the power heads were good and they were both in great shape.

OBX Sailfish

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I know other parts of the 225 are susceptible to premature corrosion failure, but I have wondered if this is across the board for just certain years.
Many of the Grady's I have been looking at have these 225's. My concern is to fix the exhaust and then have a power head failure from water ingestion elsewhere. How real of an issue is that and can it be identified ahead of time?
They replace the whole mid sections, not just the tuner tubes I showed. The terminal end attaches to the head and Chris at Burleson Marine showed me where there was partial corrosion at that attachment point without actual leakage into the head. (he also told me that had I even run the motor a few more hours it would have failed...I didn't have to be an expert to observe that by looking at the paper thin amount of manifold still remaining) Just like a blown head gasket with steam damage into the block, I believe if there is saltwater infiltrating into the head, there is catastrophic and instant damage from steam in the block. (I'm not a mechanic but this is pretty much what I've been told. ) I believe when you have the mid sections done that an astute mechanic will easily identify any infiltration from the exhaust section into the head.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
...and that's another concern about these engines. How many have had the exhaust done and the mating surfaces elsewhere were severely corroded, but thrown back together anyway. Without photos of the repair, I'd wouldn't be willing to pay much more than scrap value for a 225 which is unfortunate considering they are so reliable otherwise.

OBX Sailfish

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I hear what you're saying, but I don't think the heads are a concern..(as long the tube corrosion has not infiltrated to the head). As corroded as the starboard exhaust was on mine the head side was fine. I'm not aware of any other issue on those motors that has to do with inferior quality aluminum material corroding due to a substandard alloy...except maybe tilt/ trim motors etc. Which isn't just a Yamaha issue...;) From all I've read, replacing the entire midsections isn't a bandaid, it is a cure and should allow the motor to function a long useful life as it was designed to do.

Fishtales

Reaction score
That's awesome. So did you have your 06' 250 tuners replaced? I have a pal with an 06 250 who is on the fence as whether to have it done or not.

No, have not had to do the tuners yet. The mid sections really were not that bad when I did them. The coating was compromised in some areas but could have gone 3 years more I think. But when into it that deep, just finish it.