228 G and 4 blade prop change results

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Hey Yall:
I switched from a Yamaha SSII 3 blade prop 15.5x 17 to a Power Tec OS 4 15.25 x 16 4 blade stainless steel prop. While I did not make a detailed spreadsheet on actual performance of the boat before and after, I can say by feel some things are improved. So far the resutls are based on running on smooth mountain lake and I am eager to see the differences if any in the sea. My motor is a F250.

Hole Shot...while only marginally important for me in regards to water sports in particular, the boat did get on plane quicker. How much I could not tell you because I did not measure it. It felt more responsive. Most of us pilot our boats by feel and by guages and not by stop watches and spread sheets anyway. I know, I know numbers are important in evalauting performance and feeling not so much unless you are a Jedi Knight boat operator. Then feeling is everything.

Staying on plane...the boat holds staying on plane at 22-23, before that was 23-24.

Cruise speed and fuel economy...the fuel economy at 25 mph, 3800 RPM is now around 3.0 and before that was around 2.8. Cruise at 30 mph and the fuel economy was still around 3 before it was around 2.8. The most fuel effecient speed for me was about 27 at 4K RPM with an economy of 3.2. I could never get 3.2 out of the old prop.

Top end performance suffered. WOT the wheel turned 6k RPM and top end speed was 41 with the new prop. My old prop would push the boat to 42-43. Again, I rarely run WOT so this loss is not important to me. Now if I was a drug runner in the Florida Keys this could be a concern (lol), but I aint so it is not.

I noticed it did add a little stern lift. the 228 responds well to the trim tabs and I would say they are a necessity on this boat. With that said, the 4 blade prop seems to help get her rear up some and the tabs while still important, the overall boat performance was helped with the 4 blade and the tabs together.

Turns. We use our Grady for family lake time more than offshore fishing. Lake time means pulling toys like big tubes such as the Atom from HO. The 4th blade makes a HUGE difference in how the 228 turns and holds speed in a turn. The 3 blade prop was good but in a tight turn or making S turns while pulling a tube the 228's speed would fall off significantly. I noticed no great loss of speed in tight turns and S turns. If you have a 225 or 228 and use her for water sports this one benefit to me is worth the switch alone. :D

I also noticed enahnced reverse thrust at the dock which is nice for manuevering. The guys at Power Tec are very nice and I am pleased with the switch to a 4 blade wheel.

This is my report and I am sticking to it. Hope this helps others in the future in evaluating their props and possible changes from a 3 blade to 4 blade wheel.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Your results sound similar to mine, although I don't have a FM gauge (yet) to measure mpg.

I went from a 13.25 x 17 Yamaha standard SS prop to a 15.25x17 Merc Mirage Prop. I can cruise comfortably now at 30 mph at 4000 rpm. 35 mph is 4500 rpm. Top speed is 42 mph at 5500 rpm.

I also noticed a HUGE difference in dockside manuevering....

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Brian, you will love how the boat handles especially for water sports on a summer day at Lanier. I guess though you have already figured that out ;-). Perhaps I should have looked at the Mirage.