228 Pictures

"I Wanna 228"

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm new to this site. I'm looking into buy my first Grady soon. I'm looking at the 228 w/ a 250 4-Stroke Yamaha. I'm also looking for ideas on how I want to rig it, particulary mounting electronics. The only thing I don't like about the 228 in caparison to the 258 is that the 228 doesn't have the space to flush mount anything on the console b/c it has the box / with a clear lid deal. Has anyone removed this and set up their 228's with flush mounts? Thanks in advance - I've made up my mind that the 228 is what I want, just gotta bite the bullet and buy it.

Seafarer228G

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is a pic thats in the gallery:

11382399631.jpg

bea5454

Reaction score
I Wanna --

Good luck with the 228, it's a great boat. Parthery and Tommy Tuna have posted pics here of flush mounted C/E-80 - very clean look/install.

Definitely not intending to open a can of worms, but do some investgation on the F250 on this hull -- especially if the aux tank is not installed. A search on this site will yield you (it did me) a lot of valuable intelligence/thoughts with regard to the "added" weight of the F250 creating a situation whereby the scuppers sit underwater. You may also want to contact Grady on this point as they've been very helpful with regard to inquiries -- and they may have sought to remedy on 2007+ hulls.

Good luck!

Bruce

gw204

Reaction score
Also not to derail, but have you looked at the Parker 2310? There was a period when I as considering moving down from my 252 to something in th 22'/23' range. I came to the conclusion that with the 2310 you got lots more for you $$$.

"I Wanna 228"

Reaction score
I looked @ a Parker @ the boatshow a couple of weekends ago. Nice boats, but they didn't have a walkaround there to look at, only a cabin. I actually looked @ their website yesterday and requested a brochure to be mailed to me to check them out further. I'm not in a rush to buy, so I'm taking my time before I bite the bullet, but right now, the 228 is in 1st place.

gw204

Reaction score
Gotcha. But, the Parker borchure really doesn't do them justice. You have to see 'em in person.

Good luck. :)

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I owned a Seafarer (1992) for 10 years. I had a '94 250 Yamaha Saltwater Series on a Grady-Drive, and the scuppers were above water.
I had a 172 QT. Cooler astern, filled lots of times, and the scuppers were right at the waterline with the extra weight of the cooler.
Even then, there was never a problem with the cockpit draining.
The 250 is the right power for that boat.Planed off easily,and hit 47-48 MPH.
Cruised at 32 MPH at 4000. Got lousy mileage,really..My mechanic said they never got the fule curve dialed in on the early 250's.
I don't think it ever got over 2 MPG.
If your intention is to add a 4-stroke, then the extra weight may be a factor, so the guy suggesting research is correct.

akbeeks

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Parthery,
How did you mount your VHF radio in the photo above? It appears to be mounted to the stereo.