228 seafarer storage question..antenna

ibuyre111

Reaction score
I will be putting the boat away soon and im wondering how to cover the boat with the antenna still connected to the hard top. Im sure there is a way to disconnect it...anybody know how?
Thanks, :huh

seasick

Reaction score
Depends on the antenna and the mount. Often there is a connector at the base of the antenna but not always. If the mount doesn't hinge, you could unbolt it for storage but that will break the seal and may be hard to do if adhesive like 5200 was used. Bottom line, you have to take a look at your specific installation

JiminGA

Reaction score
My cover has a velcro flap that allows the antenna to go through the cover - the flap seems good at keeping rain out. Works well for me. The picture unfortunately does not show it but you can make out the flap just forward ot the hardtop rocket launchers. I got the cover from coversearch.com.

DSC00540%20(Medium).JPG

ibuyre111

Reaction score
Thru the cover!..thanks for the reply
Upon further review it seems that the antenna unscrews from the bracket.
I didn't have much light tonight but I will look into disconnecting the wire and unscrewing the pole
I'll keep you posted

Attachments

• DSCN0172.JPG
    DSCN0172.JPG
    176 KB · Views: 1,249

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Most likely the wire runs thru the base and into the antenna - and doesn't unscrew. I'd keep looking before I started twisting things apart ... :uhm

tiderunner222

Reaction score
Judging by your signature picture you should be able to just unscrew the antenna and then tie off one end to one of the hard top pipes so it doesn't interfere with the cover and hang by the wire. That's how the yard we store at does most of them. That way you don't have to disconnect the wire. You may have to pull up some extra slack wire through the electronics box so you have enough extra wire to move the antenna off to the side.

ibuyre111

Reaction score
Well finally got around to pulling the boat for the season.
The antenna does in fact unscrew. I had to make sure that there was enough slack in the wire to allow me to unscrew it as it twisted around the pole.
Thanks for the help everyone. :goodjob