228 steering wheel issue

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am just an average size guy but I find it extremely cramped behind the wheel when standing. I have tilt steering and no matter how I adjust it I'm still cramped. I have a power knob but dont have it mounted because I cant make a full revolution without maiming myself. Only options I can think of are going to a flush mount helm or maybe a smaller wheel. Anyone been down this road?

seasick

Reaction score
bayrat said:
I am just an average size guy but I find it extremely cramped behind the wheel when standing. I have tilt steering and no matter how I adjust it I'm still cramped. I have a power knob but dont have it mounted because I cant make a full revolution without maiming myself. Only options I can think of are going to a flush mount helm or maybe a smaller wheel. Anyone been down this road?
have you moved the seat back?

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yes...all the way and thats not the problem. Thinking that if I put a different wheel (flat and not as deep ) I could pick up 3 or 4 inches and that would do it. I think its a lot cheaper than switching helms. Any other thoughts appreciated.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Flat dish will work, and yes a lot cheaper than new helm.

Dish is measured in Deg.

If that doesn't work, new helm and flat dish wheel together.

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yes, I saw most advertised at 22 degrees...not sure what mine is but will try and compare as I think it's deeper. I also see diameters of 15 1/2 and 13 1/2. I haven't measured mine yet but maybe I can pick up another 2" there. I just cant imagine that anyone else hasn't found it extremely tight. Maybe its all because of the tilt helm. I bought the boat used and that was the previous owner's setup. Thanks for the reply.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Had the same problem with both my Grady's. Got rid of the destroyer wheel and got one of the 13-1/2" jobs for $160. Made a world of difference.

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Good to hear..thanks. Did you also get a flat wheel as opposed to a dished wheel or just go down in diameter?