232 0r 228G?

Patch

Reaction score
I now want to get a smaller Grady White walkaround to use in the bays and coastal waters of Maine. Not planning to go very far off shore. There seems to be about $15 to $20 thousand difference between a late model 232 and 228G. Is there that much difference between these two boats? Do not plan to overnite on the boat. Can anyone give an idea as the difference in the ride and performance?

GWcpa

Reaction score
Big difference in boats. I owned a 232 and fish on my neighbors 226. The 232 is physically much larger and IMO requires twins, at least until the F350 was available. Twins make the 232 a great boat, but adds significantly to the maintenance.

A 228 will get around over 3 mpg, 232 mid 2s.

The 232 is a more stable trolling platform with a much larger cockpit. Four can comfortably fish a 232. In large seas the 232 is a better choice, in a short chop the 228 rides better with its narrow beam but is wetter.

The 232 requires a much larger tow vehicle, slip, clean up time, etc.

I downsized to a 205 because I do not fish offshore as I had envisioned when I bought it. Now that I have the 205, I spend more time on the boat and less time performing maintenance, fueling and hauling it.

Still miss the 232 though, but a friend now owns it and he loves it.

Average Joe

Reaction score
As you state there is a big cost difference to consider. The 232 is a big 23' with about 1' wider beam than the 228. You can trailer the 228 much easier and with less vehicle.
The 232 cabin is deep enough to allow most people to stand up in there.
I could go on and on but comparing the two is really like apples and oranges.

IMO. Sounds as if a 228 would be best suited for the way you intend to use it.

Patch

Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughtful answers. I have had a Shannon 36' trawler with full ammenities and now have a 26' Duffey lobsteryacht with lots of teak and a 130hp diesel. We are looking to get something that goes faster and with less maintainence that the Duffey. A Grady is our first choice. I will not be trailering it nor will we spend nights on it. We'd keep it on a moor and store it in the winter right a the boatyard. Just run about the bays a reaches between Mt Desert Isld and Penobscot Bay in Maine. Quite possibly the 208 would be even a better choice. Thanks again for you comments. Merry Christmas!

GWcpa

Reaction score
Good point on the cabin. The 232 has around 5'10" headroom and the upper bunk is actually quite useful and comfortable.

As far as perfomance, the 232 with twins will cruise at 35 knots. Max in the low-mid 40 Knot range. The 228 around 26 knots, wot around 37 knots. 232 with a single 225 or 250 will have much slower cruise and WOT than a 228.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I owned a Seafarer with the bracket(228G,) for 10 years. It had a single 250 Saltwater Series Yamaha, circa 1994.
I now own my 2007 232 with twin Four Stroke 200 Yamahas.

Therefore I can literally speak from experience.

The 232 is a MUCH better boat all the way around, as far as I'm concerned. I overnited on the Seafarer, and currently on the Gulfstream. Even if you don't, the Gulfstream will ride better, be more stable, and I think it's a more solid boat.At least my 2007 is...I don't know about past years.
Having twins is waayyy better than a single(again, for me, anyway,), and the extra beam is great..I turned sideways to scoot between the helm and passenger chairs on the Seafarer..No prob on the 232.

The only negative you'll have is the extra hassle of trailering with the wide beam, and since you won't trailer, it's a non-issue.

232, hands down, I think.....

Patch

Reaction score
Thanks, magicalbill, you have confirmed all the reasons I have been telling myself for getting the bigger boat. The sea can kick up pretty quick even close in to along the coast of Maine. We have the winter to think about it before we go back in the spring. Thanks again for your response.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
My pleasure Patch..

Let us know what you finally come to..

Have a great holiday,

MB..