24 offshore livewell

dracer

Reaction score
Just bought a 87 24 offshore. It has an F250 yamaha on a full transom. The livewell was removed for easy access to the bilge(or so i was told). I was wondering what the original size livewell. I have purchased a 27 gallon to be mounted in front of the original. I am worried about the extra weight. The scuppers are already under water. Thanks

OdessaTim

Reaction score
Not sure if the 87 offshore came with a full transom? I had an 86 offshore with a cut out transom that sat low with a two stroke. You are adding approx. 200 lbs. at the transom so have someone in that weight category stand back there at anchor and check out where she floats.

georgemjr

Reaction score
I would look to install an original, as it would not take up any additional deck space. I had that boat a couple years back and removed the livewell yearly for access to the bilge. It was a simple process including about 6 screws and 2 hoses. If you are looking to add one in the cockpit, I would assume that the boat would not be much different than the original, but I don't know how many gallons the original was. Water is 8 lbs/gal, so you would have to figure that for the additional gallons. My scuppers were not above water, as you could read in many prior threads, many aren't. This usually isn't an issue, and is a non-issue if the scuppers and hoses are in good shape and properly clamped. it only becomes an issue if that is not the case. i would assume you will not be leaving water in the livewell when you are docked and only using while on the boat. I did get some water through the scuppers when I had enough heavy fisherman, all standing on the back. It would drain right out as it should when we re-distributed the weight.

dracer

Reaction score
Thanks Guys. Any idea where to get a replacement? And what was the original gallon amount.