24' OFFSHORE PRO - NO REVERSE

ejsharp

Reaction score
We purchased an Offshore Pro with an Evinrude Outboard. We just discovered that reverse gear does not turn the prop. The cables are stiff when moving the throttle and the shifting pistons at the motor end of the cables seem to be working properly.

Can anyone tell me what might be the cause of reverse gear not engaging?

Any tests that I might perform?

ejsharp

Reaction score
Update

I may have identified the problem. I disconnected the cable and pushed the reverse shift arm back as far as possible and the gear engaged.

I then tried to adjust the cable at the motor end but there is not sufficient room to lengthen the adjustment. I also opened the throttle/shift lever assembly at the other end of the cable but could not find anything more to adjust there.

So unless someone knows a way to adjust the cable further, It looks like I will have to replace the cables. They are old and getting quite stiff.

Thinking ahead, I could attach the ends of the new cable to the old cables and then pull the new ones through the hull as I pull the old cables out. Then attach the new cable ends to throttle lever and motor.

Does this sound doable? Also, does anyone know the cost of a new set of cables for a 24 foot Offshore Pro with a 1993 225 Evinrude Outboard?

richie rich

Reaction score
EJ, the tape and pull method of installing new cables is pretty much spot on....going around corners will be tough but lube up the cables and pull away...if they are old and stiff...its not worth fixing....you may make it better with lubrication of the old components, but it will be short lived and give you a problem when you need the reliability most, in bad conditons....its time, and it will give your peace of mind

ejsharp

Reaction score
Thanks Rich... Your reply is most appreciated. I've been wondering how to measure the distance between helm and motor so that I can order the correct cable length. After reading your reply I just now realized that I do not have to remove both old cables at the same time. Rather I can first remove only one and then measure it accurately... order the new cables and then, when the new cables arrive, use the remaining old cable to pull through the pair of new cables.

Who was it that said: "the happiest moments for a boat owner is when he buys the boat and then again when he sells it"

I'm having an absolute blast figuring out how to fix this faded jewel up.

:)

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
There's a service manual procedure for adjusting the linkage at the motor so the cable is in the middle of it's shift range when in neutral.

If there is a problem at the control up front, or frozen cable, will not work properly no matter the adjustment.

Suggest you also inspect control unit.

ejsharp

Reaction score
Thanks for for that bit of info Bob. I had completely overlooked the fact that I had a manual for this motor sitting only 10 feet from me and I not once thought to look at it.

All of this is so new to me. Actually I did not know if the cables were matched to the boat or matched to the engine.

Yesterday I realized that the cables were OEM parts and designed to fit the engine and not the boat. So today I went to Green's Marine here in Wilmington, NC and to my surprise they had two 26' cables on their shelf. Evinrude Original Equipment no less and to top it off he gave them to me for 50 dollars each. That's like 1/2 price or better.

So I installed them this afternoon and had them hooked up with both forward and reverse working. After reading your post I made the connection that the cables were Evinrude and that I have an Evinrude manual and that I could look up the installation procedure and check the installation.

So now when I read the manual I know exactly what parts they are talking about and everything makes sense. Tomorrow I'll go out and double check everything. While reading the procedure that you suggested I also saw that there IS A WAY to further adjust the cable when there are no threads left. The shift arm on the engine can be adjusted if there are insufficient threads on the cable for the required adjustment... which answered the question to my original post.

Next project... change the rusted valve on the through-hull water supply for the wash down and live well.

:)