24 offshore weight problem?

str8fishon

Reaction score
hello,
i bought a 1980 24 gray offshore with twin 130 honda 4 strokes. engines weigh 500 lb a piece. my boat sits very low in the back , about 3 inches to top off transom (drain holes are always under water) . is this to much weight on the back of this boat? i thought maybe i had water trapped around the fuel tanks and pulled the hatches to discover that there are two 95 gallon gas tanks in the boat instead of the factory 55 and 95 gallon tanks. does anyone know if the back tank is supposed to be a 95 or a 55? Im thinking about removing the back tank and/or installing a 55 gallon. Does anyone have this boat with twins? any help would be appreciated. thanks

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
1980 GW catalog shows a 95-gal standard, and a 55-gal optional.

Not sure how they got the extra 40 gallons in there, but that is a good bit of weight.

More significantly, the boat was rated for 280HP back when that meant light-weight two-stroke engines. Now you have a pair of Honda 4-strokes back there, and that is just too much weight for that boat.

BTW, weights for outboard engines are "dry", without oil, and usually without the prop.

Best wishes,
Brian