248 Voyager fresh water fill

JKenyon1506

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
I have a 2002 248 Voyager and having trouble filling fresh water tank. I assume my vent is clogged or obstructed. Can anyone tell me where the vent is located? It is not visible even with the middle cover for aux fuel tank removed. I can see the fresh water tank but cant seem to find a vent hose?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Vents are located close the fill. However, you may have a fill where the vent is built into the fill. Do you have a cap that has two holes in it, but can also be removed by using your palm or by gripping the outside, knurled edge of the cap? That's a built-in style.

It could also be that the vent line has a slight dip in it, allowing water to gather and creating a blockage that way.

Reactions: JKenyon1506

JKenyon1506

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
Thanks for information. I believe it to be the built in style. I will check for the dip in the hose...makes sense. I appreciate the help.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
The 99 we had used a vented cap. My guess is your hose is closing off the fill and it can't vent.

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have never had trouble filling mine and it takes water with the hose wide open. I’ve also never noticed any vent. Maybe as someone suggested the hose diameter is cutting off the vent around the intake.
The cap on mine is the same as on the gas fills.

seasick

Reaction score
I am not sure what "having trouble filling" means in this case. If the vent were blocked, filling might be harder to do but the situation is not the same as a blocked vent on a fuel fill. The nozzle on a gas hose senses backflow pressure and automatically shuts off. The same is not true for a water hose filling the tank. The water pressure is a lot higher typically on a garden hose. A blocked vent on a water tank is more likely to cause problem when drawing water as the tank develops a negative pressure.
If the vent is blocked AND the filling hose or nozzle makes a very tight fit, then I might see how the flow could be reduced.
That is easy to check; just hold the water nozzle away from the fill an inch or so and squirt water directly into the fill. If most of the water backs up , it means one of two things; The fill hose has a blockage or maybe the tank is full ( if there is a combo fill, you won't see water overflowing from the vent, if no combo, water will vent out the external fitting which could be on the gunnel or on the hull side)

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
In 99 at least, there was no separate vent. I know because I completely removed mine to clean it. The only other thing not mentioned is the fill hose could be kinked restricting flow.

seasick

Reaction score
Whether or not there is a vent in the hull or a dual purpose fill fixture, if the hose that is used to fill the tank is not jammed air tight into the fill, it should work even if the vent is blocked. Normal operation of fresh water fixtures would be affected by a blocked vent

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
One would think that the fill hose is large enough to allow air to escape through it while water is still entering. But this is not always the case. I was filling a gas tank when this happened - the fuel was actually backing up in the fill hose to a point where I could physically see the fuel (had nothing to do with the "auto" off feature). Then I watched as it slowly went back down. This was repeated a number of times. In my case, I could access the entire 50g poly tank by opening a hatch (this was in a Sea Ray). The tank looked like a ballon. I tentatively/cautiously stepped on the tank and POOF there was a huge rush out the vent line and then all was good. Because of the way the vent line was laying, and the fact that the boat was rocking quite a bit when filling (heavy wave action at the gas dock), the fuel filled the vent line.

Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
hmmmmmm. OK, I'll buy that,...maybe:)

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Before that happened, I would have thought there would have been enough "air space" in the fill hose, too. But that definitely proved that there is at least the possibility of there NOT being enough air space.

My guess is there's something going on with the way the liquid is exiting the fill fitting (tank fitting) at "speed" since it doesn't just pour gently out of the fitting. I would think that the fast flowing fuel also draws air in with it creating a "one way" flow kinda of thing.

Unless... does the fill fitting at the tank have a tube that extends down? I didn't think it did, but if it does, then that completely explains it right there.

seasick

Reaction score
I just read the OP again and see that the OP couldn't find the vent hose. We are talked about the fact that there might be a combo fill/vent fitting but even in that case, there is still a vent hose that goes to the tank assuming the tank is vented.
Has the problem always been there? Or is this something new and if so, did the fill hose or nozzle change?

Time to go entertain the Mom's and relatives...

JKenyon1506

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
Vents are located close the fill. However, you may have a fill where the vent is built into the fill. Do you have a cap that has two holes in it, but can also be removed by using your palm or by gripping the outside, knurled edge of the cap? That's a built-in style.

It could also be that the vent line has a slight dip in it, allowing water to gather and creating a blockage that way.
Update: I pulled to the storage tray out just above the water fill and found the vent hose running into the fill. I followed it around and there was a dip in the hose like you mentioned and was forming a "p trap" of sorts. I raised the hose and cleared the water and now works fine. Thanks for the tip.

Reactions: glacierbaze

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Update: I pulled to the storage tray out just above the water fill and found the vent hose running into the fill. I followed it around and there was a dip in the hose like you mentioned and was forming a "p trap" of sorts. I raised the hose and cleared the water and now works fine. Thanks for the tip.
You're welcome. Gotta luv "freebie" fixes!

Re-route/support the hose so it doesn't happen again.

seasick

Reaction score
I have to admit, I am surprised that was the issue. I would have expected the air to flow back past the water hose. Do you jam a nozzle into the opening when filling up?
I may loose sleep over this.