250 Four Strokes

Bobcat25

Reaction score
I have 1997 Grady White Marlin w/250 Yamaha 2 cycle . Looking to upgrade to the Four Strokes wondering about the extra weight .Has anyone already done this???[/b]

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Have not heard many problems on marlin repowers. Best bet is to call Grady, their customer service can answer that question and tell you what that boat can handle. It is not a problem of HP. If you are wondering how the boat will sit, figure out how much added weight it will be, probably around 200lbs more then what you have. Have a buddy around that weight stand there and check your scuppers and see where they sit with a heavy fuel load. The scuppers can be moved, not a major job, but more money none the less. I believe that hull should be ok, but check with Grady to be certain. When I repowered my older seafarer they helped out with this info. Also, if you repower, that weight should be subtracted from what your plate states is max people/ weight from gear. That added weight is supposed to be calculated into that gear weight. I still do not think that will pose any issues.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
Grady went with an 1 1/2" transom, used to be 5/8"
they also beefed up the stringers

call them and ask

jimmy's marine service

Reaction score
JUST-IN-TIME said:

call them and ask

exactly what is this ??? 1 1/2" transom ??? 5/8" transom??? could you explain this ???

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
JUST-IN-TIME said:

call them and ask

Not sure what this means either???

If the Marlin has 250's on it right now and they are the original factory delivered models then the transom & boat was rated for 500hp and I would think the F250's would be OK. My buddy repowered his 1989 Marlin with F225's and he has had no problems what so ever. Be aware that the 4stroke Yamaha's, when fully raised, will still be touching the water.. by an inch or two. I think the 2 strokes were completely clear when raised... at least the pre-hpdi 2 strokes were.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I agree with Joe

I don't think the F225/250s are much heavier than than big block OX66 2 strokers, but a quick trip over to Yamaha's website for the specs out of the applicable owners manuals will answer it.

The HPDI Z250/300s are 550 lbs, the F350s are 800 lbs, and the Suzuki 300s are 600 lbs, that's about all I recall off hand.

Fishtales

Reaction score
The F225 is 583 lbs
and the F250 is 604 lbs.

The OX66 is listed at 444 lbs on one site I saw. Your looking at almost 280 to 320 lbs more - I'd definately check with GW.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
talked to the guy here at the boat show
he said they beefed up the transom to 1 and 1/2 " from 5/8"

does that sound right jimmy?
how many gradys have you stripped down like the proline

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Is that overall transom thickness, the thickness of the wood in the transom, the fiberglass? I'd assume that they made the transom thicker, but how they did it also mattered, making it thicker doesn't always make it stronger if they used lesser materials. I'm pretty sure Grady beefed up these transom's but I have not heard that many issues as to weight with this model being repowered with four strokes. The boat is a bigger then most other Grady models and the change in free board will be the least from adding more weight at the transom. The boat can handle the HP, it is probably more of a question of what the transom condition on that particular boat is. Like I had stated before, best thing to do is call Grady. I did before I repowered, they were very helpful and gave me things to check and not do when repowering and what the limit of that boat and transom are.

jehines3

Reaction score
The other big thing to consider is do you have the built in Genny or not. Between my transom live well and the genney I could forsee another 600lbs in the back of the boat designed into the hull waterline. I'm not advocating the F250's, but I also think there is a realistic amount of margin already in this hull design on the static water line.

Of course there is always mt friends 272 when he went to Honda 4's, it cost him $6k to have the transom put back on and beefed up.

jimmy's marine service

Reaction score
JUST-IN-TIME said:
talked to the guy here at the boat show
he said they beefed up the transom to 1 and 1/2 " from 5/8"

does that sound right jimmy?
how many gradys have you stripped down like the proline

i think mabey you confused that....either that,or the gentleman who was telling you something,was our typical sales man... :wink:

ask "dunk" how many grady's i've cut apart to replace transoms,stringers,bulkheads,fuel systems,outboard brackets,gunnel voids-one was almost the entire length of the boat...the list is pretty endless....trust me...i've seen just about everything that can and will go wrong and rot on a grady white,a few were pretty late model...ask "old mill",how many he's cut apart,jay's in the buisness too...

how do you know dunk ???

SlimJim

Reaction score
Rich, if its the same Grady Guy that I spoke with at the same boat show, I would not trust much of what he said.....he told me the 265 did NOT have the Sea V Hull. (he did not know what he was talking about)

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
yes i just was told that
but i did notice the 228 had way beefy stringers compared to my 2000

i got to put new kicker bracket on, so i will check how thick mine is soon

i know dunk from the forums, COOL GUY!

which were the worse ones jimmy? just want to know for further reference

how do you know dunk 8)

jimmy's marine service

Reaction score
JUST-IN-TIME said:
yes i just was told that
but i did notice the 228 had way beefy stringers compared to my 2000

i got to put new kicker bracket on, so i will check how thick mine is soon

i know dunk from the forums, COOL GUY!

which were the worse ones jimmy? just want to know for further reference

how do you know dunk 8)

dunk is a buddy of mine...he allways asks for advice from me..

worse ones huh ???

early 90's and late 80's sailfish,trophy pro,etc...these were about the worst...famous for rotting,and the rot would be everywhere too...

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
FishT - are you sure about that weight? The OX66 250 is a big block.

Sounds more like the weight of my small blockers 2.6L.

jimmy's marine service

Reaction score
JUST-IN-TIME said:
cool!
if i ever get your way i will come meet you
and if you ever come ou to the SF bay look me up, we will go fishing! :D

so this fisherman probally has rot then http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/boa/542649188.html

looks like a good deal

think that bracket has water? :lol:
run forest !! and don't look back....you can see the galvanic corrosion on the bracket....that thing looks like it's been rode hard and put away wet...

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
jimmy's marine service said:
JUST-IN-TIME said:
cool!
if i ever get your way i will come meet you
and if you ever come ou to the SF bay look me up, we will go fishing! :D

so this fisherman probally has rot then http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/boa/542649188.html

looks like a good deal

think that bracket has water? :lol:
run forest !! and don't look back....you can see the galvanic corrosion on the bracket....that thing looks like it's been rode hard and put away wet...

i was going to offer $3K