255 with 300 hp Yamaha

Old Lion

Reaction score
I launched my new 255 this weekend. Great boat. Great engine. One question: it's a pretty large boat to launch and dock with just a single engine. Any tips on how to manuever in tight quarters?

Tashmoo

Reaction score
1) Make sure your tabs are full up.
2) Bring your engine up three to four bars and you will find it more responsive at low speed in reverse.
3) Practice.

Gary M

Reaction score
1) Let the wind/current be your "friend". Use it to help you control the boat.
2) Never approach a dock/piling faster than you are willing to hit it......... go slow!
3) Have your crew "ready" with lines attached to the boat and boat hook(s) in hand.
4) Before you attempt to dock, size up the wind direction & strength, current, obstacles (other boats, pilings, etc).
5) Before you begin, fully brief your crew on just what you want them to do and when. This helps to eliminate confusion during docking.
6) Your spring line is usually your best friend. Tossing the spring line to a guy on the dock allow him to help control the whole boat. He can pin the boat to the dock with just that one line.......then you can organize the other lines.
7) When shifting, make sure that you have recieved the gear that you have selected. I have "thought" that it went into N when in fact it has not!

CWOT

Reaction score
and tell everyone to move slowly or stay put until asked to move.

Ed Bukala

Reaction score
Hi There
I have a 255 with 300 hp, second season underway. Great tips so far but I will add another. My boat has the hardtop and early in the season I am usually keeping the side and front canvas up, still chilly on the water while under way. I find that it helps alot to open up the canvas when coming into my slip especially if it is windy. Helps eliminate the "sail" effect and gives me better control. I just roll up the inner portion of the side curtains which allows the wind to pass through the helm area. The second thing I am doing this year as we have changed marinas and into our second slip at this marina, is practice. We came in the other day and I did not give her enough reverse when we got close to the dock and all of a sudden the wind pushed me towards a big 40 footer, my new neighbour. We got out of that ok with some fraid nerves and we redocked 6 times (both my wife and myself at the wheel) in the same conditions and got it right before we tied off. This practice really helps both practically and most importantly mentally. Have fun.
Bukster