258 Journey f300 idle speed

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I'm considering repowering with a used f300. I'm wondering what the idle speed is for a 258 Journey. I need to be able to slow troll.
Thanks

SteveS

Reaction score
I have a 258 Journey with a Yamaha v6 F300. The slowest I can troll, with no tide, is 3.8 mph.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Thanks Steve.
That's way faster than I would have expected.

seasick

Reaction score
If you know your idle revs, lower unit ratio and prop pitch, it is easy to calculate the theoretical speed (not accounting for slip which would be small at idle speeds)

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Seasick, I would have expected slip to be worse at low speeds. Good to know. I'll have to check what my numbers come out to be with what I have now for comparison.
Dennis, we use 2 bags with our ox66. It's a bit of a PIA because the engine doesn't like low rpms for long periods of time and it really impacts handling. It would be nice to get away from them entirely.
...and I don't want a kicker. A trolling plate helps, but it really kills efficiency even with it up. I'm hoping to find a less is more solution!
An etec might work because the idle speeds are a lot lower, but the inconsistant quality and rigging issue horror stories is a turn off.