258 Replacement Console

cletus9000

Reaction score
OK, dumb question. I've been mulling an electronics upgrade on my 2005 258. I want 1 larger screen, or maybe two medium ones, preferably flush mounted for the sonar, GPS, and possibly radar units. The problem is that the current console has the glove box design, were my current furuno unit resides. This seems like a bad use of space, and I have no need to lock stuff up in there. Is it possible to cost effectively get the console replaced? I know it is removable (did it myself when fiddling with something behind it). Who would be a good choice for a replacement console? Has anyone done something similar? Pros, cons, dos and don'ts?

Thanks!

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Remove the door and put a starboard panel over it. In the panel you can flush mount your electronics.

It will look like this:
6770621967_e8c11d348d_z.jpg

If you aren't handy with a router, pick out your electronics, then work with someone like Fin-Addict (http://www.finaddictmarine.com). They can make the panel for you and ship it to your door already cut. All you have to do is install the electronics and mount the panel.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Cletus: Similar to Parthery, but I used the old plexiglass door as the template for a starboard insert. Please ignore the cardboard 'sunshade'. I've just returned from boating from New Bern, NC to home in West Palm Beach. A storm took my bimini top off the first day and I needed some glare protection for the remaining 900 miles to home!

Rob

Uploaded with ImageShack.us