265 Express at slow speed

Brian62

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2002 256 Express w/ Twin 225F Yamahas. The boat tends to "walk" back and forth at slow (no-wake) speed. Requires constant steering. I am use to single outboards and more recently twin i/os on a 30' cruiser. Is this typical or is there a correction I can utilize?

jellyfish

Reaction score
I never had this problem with my 265 but that being said, the boat will "bow steer" if you don't trim the engines.

grady23

Reaction score
My Gulfstream will do the same thing if the motors are not trimmed down.

Enough Already

Reaction score
Wide beam, shallow draft, sharp V up front - welcome to the 265 "waddle". Slow/idle-speed steering inputs take about 5 seconds to take effect. Over time, you will get the feel of it and not over-correct.

colecaz

Reaction score
My 2005 Escape 209 will hardly stay in the water without constant attention at low speeds. It wants to head for the nearest bank, marker, buoy, boat, whatever.... But it's getting better as I learn how much to correct and when. You have to make a small correction and wait until she feels like answering, but she always does.. But you do have to pay attention.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Trimming the engines down makes the bow plow and prop walk even worse.

I find that trimming my engine up almost to the point where it starts to ventilate greatly improves my low speed tracking.

Grady White actually suggested that to me and it worked.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I do a lot of slow speed trolling with my boat, never really had a tracking problem at idle or real slow speeds. I usually have the engines trimmed all the way down. once I start increasing speed, I do find myself playing with the trim a little bit, obviously sea condition plays a big role in this. I do have more of a problem with side to side trim due to people moving around the boat more then anything else. You definatly need a little patience, because small corrections do take a few seconds to take effect.