265 Express Cabin Lights out, help

Frank Mills

Reaction score
Hi Folks, my cabin lights are out. The connections & fuse at the fuse box are good, I ran a direct hot wire to one of the lights and it came on -- tells me its a short in the hot wire. But the wires are in the ceiling... how do you get to them? Is there extra wire at each light so you can pull out all the wire and expose the connections? I'm stumped... any help greatly appreciated.

Frank

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Best bet would be to call Grady. Usually they provide a wire to pull through but I am not positive. If not, splice a new wire to the old one and pull it through if you can, that is your best bet. You will not want to leave that old wire in there anyways if it has a short. Let us know how it goes and what Grady says or what you end up doing.

Frank Mills

Reaction score
I emailed Grady and they replied that there was no access to the ceiling. They suggested I call my dealer which I did (great folks but 150 miles away). To help me trouble shoot they looked at another 265 express in their shop for maintenance -- they pretty much did what I had done, remove the dash and checked the wires. They did not have an immediate solution but said they would be glad to look at it but it could take a lot of hours ($$$) and they may not be able to find it.

I am pretty handy with electronics so I disconnected the shorted wire and wound up running a short hot wire to the light in the head from the fuse box, 4" of exposed wire in the head but there was no other way. And its really not noticeable.

Hope this post helps someone in the future -- thanks for looking.