265 Express Review

slapshot1848

Reaction score
Does anyone have a link to a professional review of this boat besides the one that Sportfishing Magazine did? This is my first Grady and I'm totally psyched about dropping her in the water in the spring on Lake Erie! My model is a year 2000 with twin Yamaha 225's (original engines). Also any special tips on handling/maintenance/etc. are welcome and appreciated.

Cheers,

Lee

jellyfish

Reaction score
If you don't know or have never run a 265, be careful, as the boat will bow steer hard if you don't trim the engines. What I would do is start with the engines trimmed all the way down, then when you get up on a plane, start trimming the engine slowly you will ten get the feel of the boat and find the sweet spot. You will understand what I am talking about once you get the boat in the water and get her on a plane. On most 265's is does not tae much and a trim on your engines to get her to ride well. The hull is a tank and its a wide beam for a 26ft boat. You will enjoy her once you learn how to drive her.

mronzo

Reaction score
I have a 2000 265 with t-200OXs!
This is a captains boat, it does take some getting used to.
It is engine tilt and trim tab sensitive but when you get used to
it you'll appreciate it's performance.
When you break the inlet set course and slowly give it gas.
Then trim the engines up a bit and add trim tabs according to
conditions. In some conditions it will run smother than you might
think going FASTER! Take it slow at first, when you're "dialed -in"
to that sweet spot you'll know it! Also, at speed this is not the kind of boat
folks are walking around on the deck!
Have fun! Be safe!
Ron

slapshot1848

Reaction score
Thanks for the input on how to trim this boat. We had it out on Lake Erie on Jan 31st earlier this year. We loved the ride and I did notice when I took the helm that it was a bit sensitive compared to other boats I have driven but was nontheless impressed with the ride. I am sure once I get the settings dialed in we are going to be more than pleased with this boat. Seems like a little trim goes a long way. I am assuming this is because of the steep deadrise which I will gladly accept because it means it will cut through the Lake Erie chop like a monster. It should be in the water within a couple weeks and I will report back. I am still trying to track down a old review from Saltwater Sportsman from October 1, 1999 that featured John Brownlee writing up a review on this boat.

Thanks Again,

Lee

slapshot1848

Reaction score
max,

Thanks for the link, this is a very solid review. I also wrote to the editors at Saltwater Sportsman to see if they have any links or pdf's of their Oct. 1, 1999 mag. I'll let you know if I hear of anything.

Thanks,

Lee