265 fold down transom

eppem

Reaction score
Any owners with rod holders in their fold down transom? As you know, they are great for a cutting board but not much else. After ripping out a rod holder, tearing the unit apart and having it glassed, to only have it rip out again made me think over the winter. Pics to follow but I got two pieces of starboard from a local shop and had a carpenter friend drill out the holes for the rod holder and knife sleeves in the middle. A bunch of stainless thru bolts later and the starboard has strengthened the entire set up and I feel way more comfortable fishing out of this area now.

EPPE
2003 265 Express

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I added four 0 degree and replaced plastic cupholders with 0 degree stainless cupholder/rodholders.

Cutting board goes in a rodholder if needed .

Going to use rod holders mostly for travel and setting rods down. Maybe troll a short center line with a light strike drag. Won't troll from the cupholder/rodholders.

Added a stainless eye to motor well on both sides...bungee around underside of cupholder/rodholders to help hold up tailgate.

Anybody know what that OE plastic thing is in the center of the tailgate?

here's a pic of the setup. one plastic cupholder still there in pic...have since finished the work.

dKljexrl.jpg

here's a newer pic

Htts5rbl.jpg

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I installed 2 Gemlux 0 degree rod holders on the fold down transom. These are like a thru-hull- with a seal & large nut (that acts as a backing plate) on the backside. No screws. Been in for 7 yrs- no issues. Very high quality construction. The part number is 105527.

Sorry for the leaves and mess- launching tomorrow and the gypsy moths are making a mess.

Attachments

• Grady transom rod holder.jpg
    Grady transom rod holder.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 383

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
I also added four of the 0* Gemlux to the transom gate and am not sure how I ever got along without them. Great for storing rods while running to and fro or drop in cutting boards. I do use them while trolling but only as a means to shift rods around while bringing a fish in, they certainly seem sturdy enough with that large backing nut and flange. If I remember correctly the cut out hole is about 2-1/4" while the overall dimension is almost 4", there's a good bit of stock on both sides of the gate to distribute the stress. Can order direct from Gemlux and save a good bit off MSRP.

Skunk - the OE plastic thing in the middle is a knife/tool holder.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
one thing to consider that I just learned....

The rodholders that I bought have a closed bottom except for a small drain fitting.

CLAM doesn't fit through the drain :<><

Fowl Hooked..I agree with not knowing how you could do without them. That spot was crying for rodholders. Amazes me how fishing boats don't have enough rodholders.

The GemLux are nice. I have a 30* on each side facing out 90*. Just ordered a Gemlux 0* large swivel RH for the bent butt rod.

Went with cheaper (but nice) eBay specials for the tailgate. They double shipped the cupholder/rodholers so I have 2 extra but nowhere to put them.

Oh, and don't forget to add something as a backup to the tailgate spring-latches.
The added weight of rods with cause it to pop. I added a SS eye to the motor well bulkhead on each side and use bungees for extra pull.

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Forgot to mention the one issue I had with the Gemlux is that they are just a touch long and the drain hole makes contact with the back of the door before it reaches the low rest position. For a while I just used an angled block of wood with rubber stoppers on top and bottom to keep it slightly elevated so they wouldn't hit. Before launching this spring I cut two strips from a scrap piece of starboard and 5200'd it to the back of the gate where the drains make contact, distributes the pressure and seems to be working great so far.

Reactions: Triple P.

Triple P.

Reaction score
Forgot to mention the one issue I had with the Gemlux is that they are just a touch long and the drain hole makes contact with the back of the door before it reaches the low rest position. For a while I just used an angled block of wood with rubber stoppers on top and bottom to keep it slightly elevated so they wouldn't hit. Before launching this spring I cut two strips from a scrap piece of starboard and 5200'd it to the back of the gate where the drains make contact, distributes the pressure and seems to be working great so far.
Fowl Hooked. I have the same issue with my 0* rod holders. Do you have a pic of where you placed those starboard strips? I was thinking about cutting my rod holders down a bit and then through bolting with a stainless steel screw for the rod gimbal to sit in.

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Got down to the boat and got a couple pictures today. It's the same arrangement on both sides.

Attachments

• 59tbSom1TgCgGa0g+qkfbQ.jpg
    59tbSom1TgCgGa0g+qkfbQ.jpg
    891.2 KB · Views: 57
  • cOaeQXeyR0Wr0fgx1e2q3Q.jpg
    cOaeQXeyR0Wr0fgx1e2q3Q.jpg
    930.2 KB · Views: 54

southernstyle995

Reaction score
one thing to consider that I just learned....

The rodholders that I bought have a closed bottom except for a small drain fitting.

CLAM doesn't fit through the drain :<><

Fowl Hooked..I agree with not knowing how you could do without them. That spot was crying for rodholders. Amazes me how fishing boats don't have enough rodholders.

The GemLux are nice. I have a 30* on each side facing out 90*. Just ordered a Gemlux 0* large swivel RH for the bent butt rod.

Went with cheaper (but nice) eBay specials for the tailgate. They double shipped the cupholder/rodholers so I have 2 extra but nowhere to put them.

Oh, and don't forget to add something as a backup to the tailgate spring-latches.
The added weight of rods with cause it to pop. I added a SS eye to the motor well bulkhead on each side and use bungees for extra pull.
Where did u put the 30* holder facing 90*

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
in this pic it is the forward most rod holder...nearest the outriggers. There is one on the other side too.
they are mounted in the area where the gunnel widens. They are 30* GemLux that mount with a big nut.

The rod holder above the "D" in Grady is a Gemlux heavy duty 0* swivel for the bent-butts
aVedCd6l.jpg

Last edited:

southernstyle995

Reaction score
Cool I was thinking about adding some there myself. I'll prolly do it now thanks