265EX - Freshwater washdown?

Boat Hound

Reaction score
Has anyone with a 265 Express tapped into the freshwater system- for freshwater at the transom? I know 20 gallons will go quick, but I am at a mooring and would like something, rather than nothing.

I looked at schematic, and it seems like it "should" be pretty easy. Tap in at the cockpit sink (accessed,through pulling the tackle box?) and pull to the back through the rigging tube. I know it can't be that easy- what am I missing? :?:

ksgoldman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
I just purchased a 2010 Tournament 275 which also has a 20 gallon fresh water tank. I too keep my boat at a mooring and wanted to be able to clean the boat at the mooring. I had my dealer tap into the freshwater system at the sink and install a stainless steel washdown faucet connection (I used one that I purchased at Jamestown Distributors - http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... own+Faucet). I wasn't sure if it would have enough pressure but was very pleasantly surprised that it has decent pressure, and the 20 gallons gives me about four complete washdowns (I also bring 2-3 gallons of freshwater out to the boat in my dinghy for each washdown in plastic orange juice containers to fill up my bucket with soap and water so that I don't drain the tank for that purpose). The tap into the freshwater system was a plastic "T" fitting and then to plastic hose. The tap was done at the sink and the faucet sits under the helm seat (out of the way). Parts ran about $100 and my dealer probably spent about 2-3 hours on it (I would have done it myself but wanted it done so it was there at the time of delivery).

It's a great option for those of us who keep our boats at moorings. PM me if you have any specific questions.

Ken

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
thats how I would do it. by pulling the tackle box, you have access to the water line, and tap into it. and run the new hose down the rigging tube to the stern. You may need to upgrade your pump though if your using it as a washdown, and increasing the length of the run.

ksgoldman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
My dealer had checked with Grady White about the pump capacity and Grady said it should be fine. Having been using it for the past six weeks I'll tell you that I get pretty good pressure (it's not high pressure by any means but it's enough to rinse the boat off during a washing).

Boat Hound

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. It does make me feel better that I am not the only one that has this issue. If the parts are ~$100, I'll plan on $200 because I will be doing it myself, and without a doubt will mis-cut, drop and wreck various parts. Few hours of labor = I'll plan on the weekend...because that is just how I roll.

I'll try to pull the tackle drawers out and take a look. I still don't understand why it is not a good idea to tap at the sink?

ksgoldman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
Mine is tapped at the sink. I would go with the sink as it's easy to access and easy to fix (if you make a mistake). Because it's a pressurized system, wherever you tap is fine because your faucet will allow you to turn it off when not in use.

Boat Hound

Reaction score
All done- I wish all projects went as easy as that did. Total time about an hour, about $120 in parts. Really can't believe it was that easy. Came out looking great and works well. Pressure is a little week, but with only 3/8 line from the tank - I think just swapping the pump is a waste, without re-doing all the lines to 5/8th, and at that point that 20 Gallons will just go too quick-

ksgoldman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
Glad it worked out for you. I find that I can get 4-5 washes at the mooring if I'm careful about how much water I use each time I rinse off the boat. I do bring three gallons of fresh water out to the boat in my dinghy for mixing with soap to use in a bucket so that I'm only using the water in my freshwater tank for rinsing off the boat. Being able to clean the boat at a mooring is really great for me as I don't get to a dock often enough (although I do belong to a yacht club that allows me to wash my boat when I can find temporary tie up space at one of their two docks).

Have a great summer!