272/282 Repower 4 strokes?

Bama96

Reaction score
I know it has been done before but heres my question. Did Grady White make any changes to the 272/282 hull to accomadate 4 strokes? I know in 1999 they changed the euro transom from a step up to a full running hull. Do you guys think the 2000, 2001,2002 hulls could handle the added weight? Would it cause a problem with the scuppers? Would new mounting holes have to be drilled and the old holes filled?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The change was in 1998.

As soon as the heavier F225s came out, they were installed in place of the 200 HPDIs.

No changes after 1998 worth mentioning.

GradyGEO

Reaction score
Bama96...I am considering a repower on a 2000-272 and what I found was this...

The hull is exactly the 282, so the weight is not an issue. Frankly, after running this boat for three years now, I think the added weight is a good thing back aft. The scuppers will need to be raised 1-1/4" if you want them above the waterline (which I would recommend). If you repower with any of the four strokes other than the Suzuki's you will not be able to use the same center's for the engines, which also means that you may need a new tie bar and steering cylinder. What engines are you looking at?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Honda too as well as the Suzies will fit the same twin centerlines, not any yamaha V6 F. All two strokes will be fine too.

The transom holes will have to be redriled and old ones sealed (properly).

Bama96

Reaction score
GradyGEO said:
Bama96...I am considering a repower on a 2000-272 and what I found was this...

The hull is exactly the 282, so the weight is not an issue. Frankly, after running this boat for three years now, I think the added weight is a good thing back aft. The scuppers will need to be raised 1-1/4" if you want them above the waterline (which I would recommend). If you repower with any of the four strokes other than the Suzuki's you will not be able to use the same center's for the engines, which also means that you may need a new tie bar and steering cylinder. What engines are you looking at?

I was looking at a boat in NC that was for sale with F250 Yamahas. Thus the question. Went yesterday with money in hand. Drove over 12 hours round trip. The boat was a POS. Never seen a Grady with that many large mis matched repaired fiberglass patches. Looked like a shop class at the local high school did the fiberglass repairs. The boat was abused and neglected. I felt sorry for her. The thing that pissed me off was how the owner went on and on about the condition of her. He must have thought I was a damn idiot. Still looking. :evil:

GradyGEO

Reaction score
Hang in there Bama. I looked for a year before I found mine, and walked away from one after a sea trial and after giving a $5,000.00 refundable deposit. As far as the F250's go, they are the preferred package above the F225's. It's a better engine for few reasons and the boys at Grady customer service confirmed this to me when asked. Not to say that I wouldn't consider the F225's, but it would have to be at a discount.

I originally thought you were considering a re-power like I am, but if you are looking for a boat, keep looking for a four stroke package. I'm sorry I didn't and now I'm going through the pain and suffering of making the famed "re-power or re-purchase" decision.

aplecider84

Reaction score
repower

I have a 1984 offshore 240 i went through this last year and i went with F250 single. this was big deal, but it was the best thing i ever did. the four stroke was worth it. it is like having a new boat, the power is unbelievable out of the hole is great, i would never look at a two stroke again. I also have fly by wire controls they are great to.

GradyGEO

Reaction score
I can only imagine how nice that F250 is to run, espeically with the electronic controls. I am really having a hard time deciding on this one. My neighbor at the marina has the Suzuki's (DF225's) and I have to admit I have four stroke envy everytime he starts up. I priced them out against the F225 Yammies and there is a HUGE price difference. I'm thinking of posting a new topic on the subject and my findings so I can hear what everyone else has to say.

aplecider84

Reaction score
repower

it was a long and hard deciding first i looked at honda, then i look at mercury, then i looked yamaha. it came down to service, know one could beat service from yamaha plus i got 6 years of full warranty
8)