272 fresh water fuse and pump

rackey

Reaction score
My fresh water is not working. The manual describes a fuse on the fresh water pump. Where is the fuse block on a 272? I see one under the dash but that has only 4 larger fuses and I dont think fresh water is one of them. There is another fuse block is in the overhead compartment, but hat appears to service the electronics. Is there another?

Also where is the fresh water pump? I am guessing its under the floor or behind the back wall of the aft berth but dont want to take it all apart before checking the fuse.

Thanks in advance.

seabob4

Reaction score
Is your fresh water pump controlled by a switch on the dash, and does it not have an associated breaker protecting it either directly above or below it? If GW did indeed use a fuse, the owner's manual WILL tell you where it is, unless they want a lot of pissed off owners out there...
1lg021thumbsdown.gif

rackey

Reaction score
seabob4 said:
Is your fresh water pump controlled by a switch on the dash, and does it not have an associated breaker protecting it either directly above or below it? If GW did indeed use a fuse, the owner's manual WILL tell you where it is, unless they want a lot of pissed off owners out there...
1lg021thumbsdown.gif

Yes there is a switch on the dash and a push button circut breaker on the dash as well. What has me confused is that the manual says that there is a fuse and also a fuse block that I cannot find.

seabob4

Reaction score
Racky,
A circuit protection device, be it a fuse or a breaker, MUST be relatively easy to access as it will be obviously necessary to either reset a breaker or replace a fuse in the event of a fault in that circuit. Especially fuses, as one has to actually replace a part unlike breakers where you simply push a reset button. Your entire helm should be protected by a 40A breaker coming off the battery switch, then each individual circuit at the helm protected by their individual breakers. There is no need for an additional fuse further downstream from these breakers...

You might want to call GW CS and see just what it is your manual is referring to...
Shruggingshoulders.gif

rackey

Reaction score
All my other accessories work so it not the 40A breaker.

I would agree that more than one fuse and/or breaker would be a bit redundant and thats why the manual confuses me.

I sent in an email request to GW

Anyone know where the pump is located? I could try to hot wire it to a battery to see if it works.

SilverLining

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
On my 272 (2000) the fuse block is under the steering/dash panel. The easiest way to find it is to get on your knees between the seats and look under and slightly to port of the steering wheel. You will find that fuse block on the exterior bulkhead panel. The block houses fuses for the freshwater pump, the hydraulic trim tabs, the cabin lights, and shower sump pump float switch. The freshwater pump is on a orange/blue wire with a 5 amp fuse. The water pump is located behind the aft berth wall along with the trim tab pump.

rackey

Reaction score
Thanks Silver. Those fuses look good but changed them anyway. All 4 were either 20 or 30 amp and I thought (as described in the manual) that the water was a 5 amp. Confused the heck out of me.

Looks like I will attack the back wall tomorrow.

Thanks again,

rackey

Reaction score
Thank you all for the help. It was the pump itself. Replacing it was very easy once I found it.

Thanks Great Grady!