273 vs. 283 - which one to buy and why?

bwgw

Reaction score
Considering buying a late model 273 or 283. Apart from obvious size and displacement stat differences, why pay so much more for a 283 than a comparably equipped 273?

Does the 283 give a far better ride thana 273? I do not intend to trailer, but do intend to go offshore. Thanks.

Kevcros

Reaction score
Have you been in both these boats-- I think the 283 is a different class rig-- First, you get 1' extra foot of beam AND 1' foot of length. Second, the leaning post on the 273 is fairly weak with the cooler underneath--On the 283, you get a full lean post / prep station, etc.

If you are not trailering, the 283 is the clear choice ($$$ aside)

bwgw

Reaction score
Yeah, but....

A used 283 probably sells for about $15k - $20k more than a comparable year 273. Is it worth it?

Is there anything inherently bad about the design or handling of the 273? If the 283 did not exist, would the 273 be considered a darn good boat?

GulfGrady

Reaction score
I have a 273 that I take 70 miles offshore regularly. Not 1 problem with the boat. I do like the fact that I can trailer it home every time.

GulfGrady

Reaction score
Kevcros said:
Have you been in both these boats-- I think the 283 is a different class rig-- First, you get 1' extra foot of beam AND 1' foot of length. Second, the leaning post on the 273 is fairly weak with the cooler underneath--On the 283, you get a full lean post / prep station, etc.

If you are not trailering, the 283 is the clear choice ($$$ aside)
If by weak you mean structurally, you are dead wrong. Now if you mean by the amount of amenities, then where would you put your drinks and sandwiches to keep them cold?

Kevcros

Reaction score
Please see my post--- $$$$ aside, the 283 is the clear choice.

By weak, i mean that it is fairly bad design (IMHO) for a 27' offshore fishing rig-- Livewell/ bait station should be in the lean post-- Is this worth $15k- NO-- but the extra 1' and 1' might be well worth the money--

The 273 is still a great boat-- I have had both the 273 and the 283 and the 283 feels like a much bigger boat--Not putting down the 273 as i have had that boat offshore in sloppy conditions and it did fine--

Next question is how many people will be on the boat ?-- Will you actually be using the head ? Do you fish--If so, how (troll, bottom, etc.)? How far are your runs (inshore/ offshore)--

You cant go wrong with either boat, but for offshore fishing the 283 is the choice-- again only my opinion (but i have owned both these boats)

TunaT

Reaction score
273 vs 283

It depends on the person and what they want it for...I have the 273 and find its the best fit for me. The 283 seems to be a "bigger" boat, the extra foot width, gives that impression. I've fished on the 283 several times and really find very little difference in ride between the two boats, I have noticed when we fished as partners the 283, will run just slightly faster thru the sea then I do...but the extra weight and foot width allowed this. Of course at the end of the day when he pulls up to the gas pump at the marina and pays $3+ for gas and I load up on trailer and pull to local gas station and get for $2.75. another thing I have noticed is (we both have t/225's on the back), the 273 gets away with any where between 15-20% less fuel then the 283...I think alot of this is with the person behind the wheel, as the owner of the 283, likes to show off a little even on 70-100 mile runs off shore, he'll be the type to open her up (WOT), just for fun for a mile or two. All, I can say take a sea trail on both boats and make the decision yourself as to what fits you the best. Remember one thing.....storage is of a premium on center consoles of any size, the more you get, the more you take with you.