282 2003 Sailfish- Throttle

christo15

Reaction score
The throttle on my 282 Sailfish has gotten extremely hard to move back and forth, making handling the boat very difficult. I did spray WD-40 on all the moving parts involving the throttle in the engine, but it's still pretty difficult to move. I have twin 2003 F225s. Any suggestions? There is a spot to put grease that I noticed, but would that help? Please let me know asap!!

cgmiller

Reaction score
Sounds like something is binding up or your cables are shot....you could try disconnecting the cables from the engines to check and make sure it is not the engines, which it is probably not.....

christo15

Reaction score
Hmm.. Those are definitely possibilities. The engines are 2003's with only 220 hrs on them.. do you think that has anything to do with it?? We actually just purchased the boat this season and have only been out two or three times. I had a 23 1993 Gulfstream before and I had a similar problem, but it wasn't quite as bad.

cgmiller

Reaction score
Chris..what was the problem with your Gulfstream, or did you not get around to fixing it?

christo15

Reaction score
We actually just had basically the same problem. The throttle just got really tight, but eventually loosened itself out. I'm just surprised a boat with 2003 engines would be having the same problem. It's almost dangerous when trying to navigate into slips.

seasick

Reaction score
99% of the time this as a bad cable, especially if the problem shows up after winter layup. If there is a corrosion issue inside the cable sheath, it gets worse while sitting over the winter. Come spring, the cable binds or is locked in one position. Oil or grease rarely help and if it does, it will not last long.
The most common areas where these cables fail is where they bend or where they may contact something hard like the motor when it tilts up. You can feel the exposed part of the cable for lumps or for spots that seem to be stiffer than others areas. That is a sure sign of internal corrosion. Once the outer plastic covering gets cut or nicked and the internal spiral cable is exposed, it is only a question of how long before the cable corrodes.
The remaining 1% of these cases are either throttle mechanism failure ( or even a tension screw going wacky) or an issue with the motor linkage itself. That is easy to check by removing the cable clevis pin and seeing if the motor linkage is binding.
If you have to replace the throttle cable, replace the shift cable at the same time.