282 Flat Screen TV installation

dmcneane

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am a soon to be Grady White 282 owner. We are purchasing a 282 with both fishing and cruising in mind. My wife wants all the comforts of home so she has asked me to install a small flat screen TV somewhere in the cabin. There doesn't seem to be a lot of choices for the installation location. Also, how difficult is it to do this installation, i.e wiring? I am looking for any and all suggestions.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
There is a 282 with flat-screen, a few slips down from where I kept my 29 Blackfin, and he (actually she; the owner is a woman), mounted it on the bulkhead that seperates the cabin from the head, so it is right above the starboard side V-berth cushion. I don't remember the wire routing, but you could use a piece of self-adhesive wire-mold (from H.D. or Lowes), from the bottom of the TV right down the buldhead to the V-berth, and then route the wires where you want them to go from under there.

Their's was mounted on an articulated swing-out mount, but I think I would want something more fixed, so it doesn't start flapping around in a sea. If you do it, how 'bout posting up some pics? Good luck

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Alternately, you can just sit it on the galley, I imagine TV watching will be done while at the dock or mooring.
If you are watching while reclining in the V berth, mounting it to the side unless it hinges, may not be practical.

If you are into DVDs, suggest you look into combo TV/DVD units.

Perhaps one season of using it out of the box to see where the admiral prefers it, then mount it permanently.

But then again, I bet the admiral knows exactly what she wants, act stupid like Ray in Everybody luves Ray, and let her direct you - so you don't take the heat for a sore neck later !!

If you use the TV at the dock - connect it to shore power, if you use it away from the dock you will need an inverter to power it from the DC system in the boat, unless you buy one of the $$ specialty 12 VDC tvs - see Cructhfield catalog as a start for the 12 VDC tvs.

Capt Armchair

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
BobP said:
Alternately, you can just sit it on the galley, I imagine TV watching will be done while at the dock or mooring.

Unless you have little kids! On a 2+ hour cruise, the TV is HUGE for my little ones. They can only take sitting outside watching the sites for so long.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Times have changed, when I was a kid on a boat, you had to fish, no other choice !

Good thing too, for me.

jehines3

Reaction score
My 2 year old will sit outside as long as I'm bringing in fish. I hope I don't need a DVD player this season.

I'm actually taking a different route and repalcing my AM/FM head unit (which needs to be replaced anyway), with one that does AM/FM and DVD's with a video output. I figure why just put in a regaulr AM/FM/CD player when you can add the DVD feature for not much money. They also allow back-up camera interface which could be a nice security feature at night while sleeping. UNfortunitly the good brands are big money so I'm probably going to buy an off brand for now to see how it works out. jh

Capt Armchair

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
BobP said:
Times have changed, when I was a kid on a boat, you had to fish, no other choice !

Good thing too, for me.

My kids love to be outside when we are fishing, its the long rides where they get bored...especially my 3 year old.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Capt ArmC,

the member who posted didn't mention kids, he did mention the admiral.

So the advise I offered is such, keeping the admiral happy, we all know how important that is !!