282 Head Solution

sluggoe

Reaction score
i've got a manual head on my '02 sailfish;

i leave approx 2 inches of water in bowl after flushing (per the mfg's suggestion); i also close the seacock after using it;

lately, i've noticed that after returning to the boat after not using for a few days, there is more water (an additional 1/2 pint or so) than when i left it;

i pumped it down to a few inches again as usual and then the same thing happens when i return -- more water in there than b4;

any ideas on why this keeps happening? (it never did this before this season); is this a precursor to something bad happening?

--slugg

bc282

Reaction score
ditto on that it may be time for a seal kit (about $75).
to help extend the time from re-doing the seals, you can occationally pour some veg oil in the head and flush it down which should help lube the seals.

sluggoe

Reaction score
how much veggie oil should i flush down the toilet to lube the seals?....

also, is replacing the seals on the head something that is relatively easy to do?

thx guys!

--slugg.

bc282

Reaction score
sluggoe said:
how much veggie oil should i flush down the toilet to lube the seals?....

also, is replacing the seals on the head something that is relatively easy to do?

thx guys!

--slugg.

i'd flush about 500ml to 1000ml of good ol' canola or what ever cheap you have kicking around.
the kit is pretty easy and would rate it a 1.5 out of 5 on the difficulty scale.
sometimes the manual heads are on sale for about $80-100, then you might consider just doing a swap for only a couple bucks more than the seal kit, but then you have either a spare more garbage.

sluggoe

Reaction score
Ok...(Hx for your advice!!
--slugg.