282 helm switch for aux tank/main tank

Mjdap

Reaction score
I have recently purchased a 2004 282. The previous owner must have modified the switch, since the tank fill on the Yamaha gauge reads only the Aux tank. Grady told me that this switch would toggle between the main tank and the aux tank for determining the amount of fuel on the gauge.

Well, the switch is there, but the small push button above the switch is removed, so the switch may be disengaged, and the aux tank is always on.

Why would someone do this?

Thanks

bc282

Reaction score
Too bad you did not catch that issue before the sale and had them fix it prior to possession.
On my 282 (2002), the main tank is forward and the smaller aux tank is aft.
The switch should be likewise with forward for main tank and back for aft aux tank.
The starboard dual fuel fills are also likewise for main and aux.
Can't say why the switch has been knackered with but sounds like the fix will involve more than replacing the resettable fuse and/or switch which would have been easy. Won't know until you start.
Corrosion might have caused premature failure or blown fuse and thus pulled out.
i'd start with inspecting switch and bench testing it, replace missing fuse, and ensuring connections for the switch and all other switches (your back there anyways) are clean and properly crimped and protected from corrosion. Spray connectors with some CorrosionX or coat with dielectric grease.
Re-run and replace with good tinned marine wire where needed.