282 sailfish underwater lights?

zeccoracing1

Reaction score
hi i am new the the grady white world, and have just purchased a 2004 282 sailfish. i went to install underwater lights in my boat but found out that the water tank was right against the bulkhead in the transom. just seeing if any one else has ran into this same problem?

bc282

Reaction score
I may eventually install more transom underwater lights but currently content with the single A3 LED drain plug light. It was pretty easy to install, running the wiring to the dash was the hardest and time consuming part. I can easily recommend this light as it illuminates well, installs easily enough and design and built best of the bunch.
Love it that I don't need a wrench for the drain plug anymore!
Yes, access to transom is far from easy on a 282. I'd recommend utilizing the trim tabs. Fab some custom brackets that attach to the trim tabs and attach the lights to the bracket rather than mess with transom. The biggest issue I think would be the wiring from the lights thru or up and over splash well to bilge where it's easy to run wires to dash. Drilling a hole to pass the wires thru is easy, but sealing the transom of the new hole(s) from both sides is very difficult unless your up to a ton of work and disassembly and reassembly to gain access. These are the major issues for me I otherwise would have added a pair of high output A3 LED's to match the drain plug light.
If decide to do it or a good marina/shop knows how and much easier, please share as I'd reconsider for my 282.

zeccoracing1

Reaction score
Never heard of putting a light there. I just looked into it and ill give it a try probaly do it when i do the lights under the gunnals. just suprised that no one has found a spot in the hull to put them.

hawk196

Reaction score
Hello,

We installed Two Ocean 12 on the Hull, mounted these next to both engine, even with the bottom bracket. The job was easy it just took some time, trying to decide if drilling a hole in the hull was a good idea or not.

Ran the wires, from the stern to forward helm, installed a switch next to the gauges. Took the entire day but it was done the right way.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I like the idea of the drain plug light. I know I'm thinking like an old lady, but with all the stuff you hear about rot, I just can't bring myself to drill the transom. I know it could be done by drilling a bigger hole than needed and filling with epoxy and the drill the center. Just can't do it and did a shoot thru transducer for the additional power (at the time) and the fact that I didn't need to drill the hull for it either.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yea, I've been eyeballin' those drain plug lights. No holes to drill. No wires to contend with. How bright are they?? Is there any chance of the boat flooding if the seal goes bad?

Winged Pig

Reaction score
I was looking to install some lights on my 272 when I pull it for the winter, and I found these, http://www.coastalnightlights.com/styles.html There seems to be a lot of fans of them over on THT. I also did not want to drill into my transom so I e-mailed the owner who got right back to me. He said that many of his customers have the same issues. He tells those customers to secure them to the transom (after removing bottom paint and cleaning) with 3M 4200.

I plan on giving that a try and running the wires up the outboard brackets and through the transom with the rest of the control wires for the motors.

Seems to be at least one working option and I plan on giving it a try.

Thoughts?