283 Release T-top canvas to Starboard conversion

halsey

Reaction score
This is my first time posting.

I have a 2004 283 Release and I want to change the canvas on the t-top to starboard.

What does anyone recommend for the thickness of the starboard? 3/8" 1/2" 3/4" I think I should be cautious about adding weight up high.

What is the recommended long-term fastening method for the starboard to the aluminum t-top frame? Stainless steel obviously - but screws from the top? Carriage bolts from the bottom with a through hole and cap nuts on top?

Does anyone recommend adhesive during installation to prevent rattling? A 3M caulk? An adhesive tape?

Any guidance from someone who has done this conversion would be helpful.

Thanks

Fishtales

Reaction score
subscribed. not something I would attempt. maybe consult a professional?

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thickness depends on whether it is just for protection, or will servea as a platform to stand on, and mount radar, outriggers, etc. Also depends on how much crown you have in the frame.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Hrm, way too many factors. A frame for any top is designed around the weight it needs to carry as well as the forces it will face. Starboard is very different from canvas, as I am sure you already know.

I am betting you will be able to swap it out, but if you want it to last and also be safe and look good, as was mentioned, at least consult the people that either made the ttop or that will be cutting the starboard, if you are not doing that yourself, to see what they think.
Gl and post pocs so we can see how nice it turns out!

Russ

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I think it makes perfect sense, and has several benefits over canvas. For one, you can extend a solid surface beyond the frame, and increase the size of your top. Tracks, for enclosures, are much easier to attach to a solid surface that to canvas.
I also think that boaters, and manufacturers, overuse King starboard and increase the weight of the boat, when other products would serve as well, or better. King has a product called Starlite, I believe, which has a solid surface on each side and less density in the center. Other companies make similar products for the outdoor sign industry. I used half inch for a well supported casting deck on a John boat, and it was very firm.
Since you already had canvas, you must have mounts built into your frame for whatever goes up there, so I would think that 1/4 To 3/8 inch would be plenty thick. Anything thicker, and you might have to cut kerfs in the underside, to make it follow the contour without wanting to bring back.
Start in the center, attach to every crossmember, and work your way to the outside.