2kw of 4kw radar? for 228 Seafarer

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
2kw

ADB, if you're South of Boston, let me know. I'm confident I may be able to help you find someone. If you're North, I may be able to get a good referral :)

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
2kw

The C-series does take radar, it doesn't take a video feed :oops: Sorry. The C-70 is a great head unit size for that boat. See who I can find as a good installer for your Furuno.

Gary M

Reaction score
megabytes said:
Thanks for the info. I didn't realize the 6kw could use either a 4' or 6' array. I assum the 6' would have better target separation given the reduced beamwidth.

Mega.......I was lucky enough to be able to consult with a guy who works at a Boater's World electronics Dept. But, this guy was a radar operator in the USN, so he explained all my questions from a high-tech experience background!

I told him about my boat and what I wanted to accomplish with my radar. He said that the 6KW with the 4 foot array was a better overall match than going with a 6 footer.

When we drilled the mounting holes, we found out that the forward section of the hardtop was about a full inch deep. It's sandwiched balsa with solid glass on both sides. I also found out that the rearward, upward sloping section behind the radar was NOT that thick when I accidently drilled a tiny bit through it when installing a bracket inside the electronics box above the helm! :evil:

For good support of the weight, we decided to mount it directly above the aluminum tube for the hardtop frame. Two bolts went in front of that tube and two went aft of it. The "weight" of the motor, etc is now supported by the frame, not the hardtop!

Here, birdy, birdy!

Abaco2007017.jpg

seabob4

Reaction score
The key to seeing birds is not so much the power but the bandwidth. Open Arrays have a much tighter bandwidth then radomes, and what you are looking for is less than 2 degrees. Allows you to see the birds over the bait schools. 4 kw open array is probably the best without going too much overboard, $$$ wise.