3 Questions about 180 CC mods, helm seat, washdown, bow fish storage?

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
  1. The swingback helm seat has a bar across the bottom of the rear making access hard. It seems to me that by reversing the seat one could slip a cooler or tackle storage in/out. It seems that they way it's installed it would be difficult getting a cooler out the front side. OTOH the bar will prevent it from sliding back but a couple of corner cleats would work. Has anyone tried or am I missing something?
  2. What's involved with installing a raw water washdown to the port side of the console? It seems it came as on option but my 2004 doesn't have one.
  3. The bow storage compartment drains overboard but is not insulated so I doubt would be of use as fish storage. Has anyone insulated this compartment or would it just be better to get an appropriate size fish bag?

IMG_0574.JPG

gearadrift

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
I have the same boat.
1. Swingback seat is not ideal but it works. You can easily slide a 48qt cooler in from the front but it's a pia to get into I typically bring a 30qt which slides in and out easily. I have seen custom leaning post with tackle storage and rocket launcher installed on the 180.

2. Mine has the freshwater shower installed, tank is under center console, pump is under port aft seat, shower hose is in port aft gunwale. Nice to have but I haven't used it in years. For raw water you would need to drill thru hull for intake, install sea valve and run tubing and wiring for pump. 5 gallon bucket works fine.

3. Forward fish box works great. Depending on planned trip length I'll buy anywhere from 20-40lbs of ice and it lasts just fine. I'm in the northeast so it's rarely 90+ degrees might be different down south.

I love the boat for what it is, it's small, seaworthy and easy to handle. But it's small and any projects are difficult because everything is hard to access. For example the grab rail on the stbd side of center console was loosening up, try getting inside the console and getting a wrench on the nut, very difficult. Same with swapping out bilge pump.
Good luck!

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
Thanks. I'm on LI Sound so it sounds like I'll be fine with the fish box and some ice.
Since I don't need a cooler under the swingback I may try to reverse it and use it for a tackle locker.
I see what you mean about access for mods. I have to work on my bilge pump, not fun.
I thought I could work the raw water off the livewell pump but maybe no worth the effort.
This boat is new to me, just have to realize what it is and not hope for more.

thanks,

Rob

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks. I'm on LI Sound so it sounds like I'll be fine with the fish box and some ice.
Since I don't need a cooler under the swingback I may try to reverse it and use it for a tackle locker.
I see what you mean about access for mods. I have to work on my bilge pump, not fun.
I thought I could work the raw water off the livewell pump but maybe no worth the effort.
This boat is new to me, just have to realize what it is and not hope for more.

thanks,

Rob
Did you ever flip your the seat around?

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
I haven't tried yet. Right now the boat is under cover but I want to measure the space between the front of the seat frame and the console. I'm thinking of something the tackle center below.
My thinking is this, if I reverse the seat and slide a large tackle box in every time I access it I have to get the back of the boat, where the fishing takes place, clear so I can open the doors and pull out the tackle.
If I can fit it in from the front and leave the way the seat is now I can still access it but no one will be sitting in the seat while fishing. This also let's the box rst against the cross bar in the back when accelerating. The other way I'd have to secure the box to keep it from sliding out. Lot's to think of.
Sorry I couldn't answer your question. I did call Grady and they told me the screws have nuts underneath that will fall if I take the seat out, may or may not be true.

Screen Shot 2022-02-26 at 3.28.44 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2022-02-26 at 3.28.44 AM.jpg

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks for the reply. Just picked up an 06 180 and have also been brainstorming tackle storage ideas but was thinking smaller scale like a tackle station that mounts under the flip seat. Keep us posted.
2CBB0B95-298C-466A-8318-B40A4764BE3B.jpeg

Byram

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
Rob, Thats interesting.I have a 98 180 and my swingback bench is what you are looking for. I keep my washbucket under with a bungee across the rails.

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
I imagine you don't have the rail across the back?

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I do. But this would mount above that rail. Something like this. Boat Outfitters will make it custom fit on the inside of the frame so it doesnt interfere with the swing back of the cushion. I think something like this could easily fit six 3700 series plano boxes, or make the center a drawer to store weights, tools and such.
InkedIMG_4415_LI.jpg

Byram

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
I do not. Maybe the original owner turned it around when he put the Ttop in ? I
certainly like having it open in the back