305 express or 300 marlin

RaRa

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Looking at both. Is the 305 cockpit too tight? Like the extra seating and cabin of 305. Will the optional fishbox chill plates freeze? Looking for bahama trips. Ac and gen a must. But more marlins to choose from. Will purshase a preowned

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I prefer the Marling for the walk around deck. Both nice boat. Really a preference of layout to suit your needs. Good luck, the good news either decision you will be happy with

Fishtales

Reaction score
been a few threads on this topic. do a search...

frankm

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I own a 2007 305 Express and my friend owns a 300 Marlin in the slip next to me here in Southern Maine.
I have fished and cruised on both boats.
My thoughts:
For fishing, the Marlin has its advantages. I bigger cockpit area is a plus and it is easier to get to the bow to help with anchoring.
On cold days, (There are many here in the Northeast) the ride to and from the fishing grounds is nicer on the 305 Express. We can fit 4 people in the helm area and can have conversations etc.
For cruising up to Casco Bay with wives and friends, my friend and I both like the 305 Express better. Again easier for the wives and family to have conversations and stay warm in the helm area.
Also, we find that due to the much bigger hard top on the 305 Express, there is much more shade on sunny days and I was able to mount 6 rod holders (4 in front of the life jacket net and 2 behind), keeping them out of the cabin.
The helm chair on my 305 Express does make it a tighter fit when walking around the helm area. When we are entertaining on the dock, I take out the helm chair, and I mount a large hand made wooden table (Which I store in the mid berth area when not in use) on the helm chair post. this serves as a great appetizer table and / or a place to put drinks or food etc. and it really opens up the helm area making it feel bigger and roomier.

Just my thoughts!
Both great boats.
IMG_1435.jpgIMG_0722.jpegIMG_0723.jpegIMG_0731.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: SkunkBoat

MA208

Reaction score
I went through this 2 years ago. Wanted 305, but couldn’t find one. I’m happy with the Marlin though. More of a decision on the right boat at the right price in the best condition.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I own a Marlin and have been on a 305 that good friends owned a few years ago.

I don't like the Express; I want the safety of the walkaround , I much prefer the stb helm on the Marlin as opposed to the center helm on the Express and I'm not worried about any extra cabin space.

I think they're the same hull and the ride is similar. I don't fish, but even if I did, I would still want the Marlin for the walkaround feature.

frankm

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I believe they are the same hull, but the 305 Express is a heavier boat due to the larger hard top

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I looked at both boats before buying my express. GW made more marlins then expresses so there will be more inventory of marlins on the market. The 305 had a run of about 10 years before being replaced with the bow rider model. With both of these models good boats sell quickly, so if your looking be prepared to make an offer and put down a deposit if you find the right boat. I cannot count how many people I called who said they just took a deposit on the boat yesterday. I use my boat for mostly fishing with some island/beach time mixed in For my use of the boat it is nice to be able to get 4 people in the helm area of the express compared to the marlin. In addition the helm of the express has the pop up electronics pod which can easily accommodate 2 12" screens, plus there is space in the upper electronics pod for another large screen. The marlin has a more traditional dash configuration. I believe some of the newer marlins will also accommodate 2 larger screens but it may be a little tight in some of the older models. Generator and bilge access is much better in the express, especially compared to the older marlins in which you would have to remove the caulked in floor panel to access this area. This was fixed some time in the last few years and newer marlins will have the similar removable deck plate as the expresses. One of the main complaints with the express is bow access. Although there is no walkaround space, there is still plenty of room to walk up to the bow. I also find that the flat bow area is much easier to cast from then a more traditional walkaround. Plus the woman seem to like it as a lounging area too. Other small differences I noted is the express has a cooler compartment on the port side as opposed to the sink in the marlin. The express has an additional set of rod holders on the hard top legs, although probably not a deal breaker for anyone.

I actively looked at both models and probably would be just as happy if I found the perfect Marlin, but in my case the boat, the deal and the timing were right for the 305.

Reactions: frankm