330 cabin modification-removed galley dinette table

melkat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thought I would share this with everyone, you might have thought about this-but maybe not- and it might work for you too. Subject is the beautiful galley settee table in the cabin of the 330. I had a 30 marlin and there is one in there too. As you are all aware it looks great in the brochures and website info and in real life at the boat shows when you see it set up with the bottle of wine and bowl of grapes maybe a flower arrangement and some cheese and crackers .

I have been fishing offshore Mid Atlantic ( Indian River Inlet, De.) for the past twenty years. The best years have been with the 03 Marlin thru the 06 330 Express till now. ( Both catch'in and comfort.) In all that time no one has ever sat at that dinette table. Not even on tuna overnighters. If some one wants to go below it is almost always to sleep -crawling into the aft berth or stretching out on the forward V-berth. Also food prep a little but mostly all fishing buds bring a cooler and duffel bag and these get arranged on the cabin floor.

This brings me to the subject of my post . This summer I was just piddling around on my 330. You all know the kind of day. Maybe windy --maybe the day after a fishing trip- wax this -wax that- buff the eisenglass- maybe check the oil in the engines-just spending quality time on your boat. And I came up with the idea to remove that dinette table. Heck- it is probably 2 ft by 3 ft in a cabin with maybe 16-18 sq ft of floor space. In fact if you take out the table you gain approx 30% floor space and it is more inviting and easy to set at the curved sofa area that is the seating area for that table. The tables dual purpose is also to adjust downward to level with seat cushions and receive another cushion to make the 5th area for sleeps five. But how many times have I had 5 guys sleeping below . O -zero

So, I decide to remove the table. Pedestal mount--flanged base-- six screws thru base to teak and holly floor. After removing and storing table-- so I can put it back for the next guys wine and cheese parties when I sell the 330 ( I'm sort of thinking that 360 express will catch even more fish and be even more comfortable.) I forgot to mention there is a 3 inch hole in the floor that goes to one of the forward bilge areas. It is drilled there by factory to receive the table post as it goes downward to get lower to make the 5th berth I mentioned. No problem.

I had a 1/2 inch piece of starboard around and used the tables base as a pattern to mark the starboard for diameter and screw hole placement . Cut it out and drilled holes and cleaned it up and screwed it to the floor with the same screws removed from table base. Turned out great. Much more floor space . Everyone likes the more roomier feel--even the Admiral. Will post pics if I ever figure out how.

Gary M

Reaction score
One of the first things that I did to both my Sailfish and now Marlin was to take out the table mount, pole, table, etc....... It looks great in the garage.....

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I need to remove the mount since it sticks up an inch or so but I have stowed my table from day one. I'd much rather have the seating and rasied floor space.

gw204

Reaction score
My stable stays in the down position all the time. It give my kids just that much more v-berth to play on. :D

Leebert

Reaction score
Guess I'm the fool in this thread. I have a 94 Marlin and hated the look of the stock table, mostly the lousy plastic molding around the corners. I just built a new one out of oak. It looks awesome... We did use the original table ONCE for dinner in the Bahamas this past Spring. I don't recall if we had wine or not. Oh well. I had the interior refinished so I thought the old table would look pretty bad so I just "had" to do it.

But the old one does look nice in the garage.

LB

fishie1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Leebert said:
Guess I'm the fool in this thread. I have a 94 Marlin and hated the look of the stock table, mostly the lousy plastic molding around the corners. I just built a new one out of oak. It looks awesome... We did use the original table ONCE for dinner in the Bahamas this past Spring. I don't recall if we had wine or not. Oh well. I had the interior refinished so I thought the old table would look pretty bad so I just "had" to do it.

But the old one does look nice in the garage.

LB
I did the same thing- I made mine out of cherry.

I would love to see pics of the interior- I am tackling that next. I really hate my monkey fur.