330 Express - F250's - Prop Selection

alfa1023

Reaction score
I would like to see what props everyone has on their 330 Express's.

I have a 2005 330 Express with F250 Yamaha's with 15.5" X 17" SWSII props. On our recent trip to the Bahamas, we got in some pretty good seas, specifically in about 4' quatering/following seas. In these conditions, the motors were slightly cavitating at times as we rolled back and forth. Early in the trip, we tucked into the Venice Inlet to get into some calmer conditions - the quartering/following 4+ footers were rolling us pretty good and the with the narrow inlet - adding throttle to make haste thru the inlet was met with mostly cavitation and little bite. High pucker factor.

I also find that I have to slowly add throttle getting on plane, otherwise I end up spinning the props into cavitation/almost over revving the engines. I know this beast is heavy, but there must be a better solution?

Is anybody using either 4 blade props or maybe higher pitch props?

Cocoliso VI

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
What height are your motors mounted. They may be too high and the props are sucking air. 15-1\2 x 17 is about right for those motors.
What sort of top end RPM's do you get with calm conditions? Did you have your engines tilted all the way in or were they tilted up?
It sure sounds like the props are sucking air, especially if your motor surges and the RPM's increase.

alfa1023

Reaction score
Motors are mounted such that the cav plates are level with the bottom of the hull - so don't think that is an issue. Setup is how she was originally delivered new by Grady (I am 2nd owner).

Been awhile since I have had her at WOT - so can't really answer the top RPM question accurately without taking her back and spinning her up.

Motors were tilted all the way down (in) in both situations where I was getting a bunch of slippage/cavitation.

tony-sally

Reaction score
props 33 express

I own a 33 express 2003 with a pair of 250's the props are the standard 15.25 +17 iv'ed tried a pair of 14 5/8 +17 4-blade the boat felt better connected to the water but was only turnning 5400 at full rpm. my boat is rigged for canyon fishing in the northeast fully loaded about 14500 lbs. i'am going to try a pair of 15.25+15 4-blade from power tek props they tell me that this size boat needs 4-blade props.If you need more info e-mail me my boat is in the photo section under 33 grady SALLY ANN

Randy

Reaction score
Tony, Id really like to here how those 4 blades work, I fish out of Shinnecock to Tails, Dip, W Atlantis, so I know the load your running.

alfa1023

Reaction score
Tony,

Ditto on wanting to hear how you make out with the 4 blade props. The load may well have been a contributing issue - I had 4 people on board, all their dive gear (8 tanks), clothes and food for 2 weeks in the Bahamas, plus full fuel and water. So we were definitely tipping the scales toward max weight.

Jim

Reaction score
GW cavitation

My 275 is heavy with a half top and will cavitate in those sea conditions if I push the bow down too much with the trim tabs.[/img]

sluggoe

Reaction score
while i don't have your boat (i have a 282 w/ twin f225's) i experieced the same problem in rough seas and it is very difficult to get in any sort of groove;

in my experience in a following sea, when the waves are close together and steep, it is very difficult to get continuous bite from the props no matter what the setup (prop selection, etc.);

you continually get pummeled from behind and even when you get some bite you are then forced down (surfing style) the front of the wave which is bad/dangerous;

if you are making a little progress and don't have far to go, then stick with it; otherwise the only other option is to change course to zig-zag or tack or go bow-to the waves and wait it out;

--slugg

Coconut330

Reaction score
I have a 330 with F225's. I had the same problem with cavitation with the Yamaha 3 blade. I use Mercury Revolution 4 blade props..
14 5/8 X 15. They work great in rough water with no cavitation. They also give the stern extra lift. You need to try a pair. I lost a couple of MPH top end but my cruise speed and gph are better than before.

DSCF2873.JPG

Bahamas%206%202010%20103.JPG

Reaction score
Cavitation

Thanks for the tip. I had the PowerTeck guy recommend a 4-blade prop also. Right now, I'm going alot easier on the trim tabs to see if that cures the problem and still maintains enough comfort in heavier seas.

Your boat looks great!

Best friends

Reaction score
hello, I am having the same problem as I read here with my 2004 330 express with twin yamaha 225 four stroke... I am considering changing motors to 300 with a longer shaft and 4 blade props..I see the last entry was last year...has anyone found a good solution? Help!! It really is a big problem and is dangerous in the currents and waves in the southern Gulf of Mexico. It feels like the boat spins out of control and that is in good weather. I don´t think I could trust it in bad weather. thank you for your help!

chub2000

Reaction score
i have the same boat with powertech 4 blade props and i dont have any cavitation offshore. just spend a $1400 on a new set of props instead of $40k on motors.

Boat Hound

Reaction score
I would agree to try some props first. I have the same issues with my 265express - obviously smaller boat, but same hull design, motors, etc. Called Ken at Prop Gods - suggested the 17" Rev 4's. Waiting for them...but anxious to see how it works out.