330 Express - Fuel Filter/Separator

themikehyde

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.themikehyde.com
Hello, I have looked at the fuel line drawing the manual, but its not 100% clear. Are the fuel separators in the bilge compartment per engine or tank? I was starting pick up a miss, so I replaced the filters. Port side was perfect, Starboard not so much. Its easy to see which bowl is which.
Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

• 2018-09-10 19.31.10.jpg
    2018-09-10 19.31.10.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 18

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Maybe I'm not completely understanding your question, but the filters protect the engines, not the tanks.

Do you have a link to what you're referring to? Maybe I can better answer if I see what you are looking at.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I will say with 99.9% certainty that your filters are after the fuel tank valve and therefore they are per engine. In other words, the fuel tank valve center hose goes to the filter and then to one engine .

Reactions: Ozz043

themikehyde

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.themikehyde.com
This is from Page 8-24 of the manual (2009-330.pdf), from the Grady site. I am presuming, as mentioned, that the filter would be between the selector valve, and the engine, which would make it one filter per engine. I changed the filters right before I ran for haul out for the storm, and did not have time to follow hoses.

If this is the case, which I am pretty sure it is. I am curious why only fuel in one filter? I always run both engines off the same tank, either primary or Aux, so I would have expected both filters to be the same. The date on the filters show they were both changed Nov of 2016.

Attachments

• 2018-09-10 21.22.32.png
    2018-09-10 21.22.32.png
    560.6 KB · Views: 14

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Fuel water separators are for each engine. If you pour them into a clear container i.e. water bottle or jar, you will get a better idea of how much water etc. is in each filter. If they are filled to the same level a more accurate comparison is much easier. I do agree in your picture there seems to be more water in one vs the other, but its tough to tell looking down into a metal bowl. Were these the big blue Yamaha fuel water separators or an aftermarket filter? if you are experiencing problems its probably not a bad idea to run all the fuel out, check the fuel water separators again then refill with fresh fuel. If you run the tanks down one at a time, you can isolate which tank is contaminated if any. I would also recommend changing the filters more often, 2 years is a long time.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
The standard (yamaha) water separator filters are usually 10 micron and are per engine, after the tank select valves. I normally empty them into a clear 1/2 gallon jar and swirl to look for water or contaminants. I run each engine off a different tank to minimize the chance of getting bad fuel to both engines at the same time, maybe my aeronautical background. The lines from the water separator filters go direct to the engines. Of course there are also much finer particulate engine fuel (paper element) filters and VST filters on the engine itself if you run Yamaha engines. If you suspect contamination, change all the filters and drain the VST from the plastic tubing that comes out of the VST into a glass jar so you can see the fuel quality. If it's good at the VST you are probably OK. It should be clear and bright. Use extreme care as gas and its vapors are highly flammable/explosive!

themikehyde

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.themikehyde.com
Thanks everyone. Yes, theses are the big blue yamaha filters. I agree on changing them more often, my bad. I thought that was done as part of full service done last year, guess i was wrong. I did run out the tank i thought was suspect, down to last bar on gauge, and plan to refil with fresh (non-eth) next monday when they put her back in after haul outbfor Florence. I am just still puzzled by the vary great difference between the two. I may experiment with running each engine on separate tanks for a bit and recheck. Of course, that would be easier if tanks were the same size, but will see.

Thanks for all the great info everyone!
Love this group!
Mike

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
It is strange that one filter had water....a couple possibilities but you will never know for sure
Each tank has a pickup tube for each motor, so it is possible that one is lower in the tank and can "reach" the water.

The water was picked up in only one occurrence when gas was sloshing around from a big boat wake or something.

You may have been running on one engine (trolling?) when it happened.

I just bought a pair of the filters with the clear drainable bottom. Going to put them on at next filter change.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Racor B32013 "kit" includes reusable clear bottom with drain and a 3213 filter (10 micron)
or less $$$
Sierra 18-7928-1 "kit" includes reusable clear bottom with drain and a 18-7919 filter(10 micron)

Be careful not to get the 3214 which has the wrong size hole /thread for a Yamaha replacement.
You say you have been using the Yamaha filter so You don't want the 1" thread