330 Express Questions

nodima

Reaction score
Thanks the compass was indeed under the sink. Connection looked good, will have to do some more advanced troubleshooting to determine issue.

I was able to get the helm lift sorted out. It turned out the switch was bad. In case other people want to troubleshoot one - there are 4 wires coming out of the lifter, black and white 14g which are the power leads. There are also a smaller pair of red and blue 18g wires which terminate together in a plastic euro connector. Turns out this is correct when the lifter is not paired with a second lifter. All of the 'magic' happens at the switch which is a DPDT switch and is wired to change the polarity. This was easy to verify with directly connecting the lifter to a known good battery at home.

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I just replaced that strap on my 330 with one of these: https://www.amazon.com/VELCRO-Brand-All-Purpose-Fastening-Organizing/dp/B00006IC2R

(I'm pretty sure it's this one -- I bought mine in a hardware store, not on Amazon though!)

I cut it to the right length and so far it's been working great. My old strap didn't break, but the velcro wasn't sticking well enough esp. in rough seas. This strap is stretchy which I think will work better.

That sounds like a bad mishap with the iphone...I'll definitely keep that in mind.

The strap to hold the cabin door open is broken/missing on my boat. Can anyone post a picture of what I assume must be a velcro strap which holds the cabin door open? There are a couple of loops on the door, and remnants of a strap broken off with a screw above it on the port side.

View attachment 7930

Also, any idea on sourcing hinges with the round metal part on the outside of the door? Are these the glass hinges sold by Boat Outfitters?

View attachment 7931

What about the thin rubber gasket such as that found on the plano box cabinet?

nodima

Reaction score
Been a while since I've come back to this thread. Happy to report that all the issues have been sorted out on the boat, save for the autopilot, which I think will be solved with another stint of going through set up both dockside and moving.

That said, we are going to the Newport boat show next week to find a vendor to replace the cushions down below. Probably going to have them replace the foam as well - any recommendations on upgrades or thickness for them?

I'm also going to look at electronics, we do a lot of drift fishing for fluke and seabass, and I think it might be helpful to have a screen up in the port side electronics box. Is this a good idea, or is there a reason for both screens to be in the helm electronics box?

Have to say, we are loving the boat, did the first overnight on it a week or so ago and it went well.

HMBJack

Reaction score
If you decide to replace the foam in your cushions, ponder this input.

On my 330, I removed the multiple cushions in the aft cabin in favor of a SINGLE mattress.
I did this because when I slept down there, the original cushions were moving on me a bit when I rolled over, etc.
I really like the single one piece mattress - it's like a regular bed now and access to the underside hatches is no big deal for me (lifting it up).

To get it, I simply went to a local foam mattress store, and had them cut me a mattress (3" thick I think). Then, I sent the measurements of the mattress to a RV Upholstery place where they made me a fabric cover (zippered) with a white vinyl underside. It fit perfectly and any RV Upholstery place will offer you multiple color choices.

Reactions: kirk a

Bayhouse

Reaction score
Can you confirm what you did for the velcro at the cabin door? tThat's been on my to-do list for a few years now and would like to fix it before I head South for the winter.

Also, anybody replace the gasket material on the cockpit drawers and tackle box storage doors?

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Can you confirm what you did for the velcro at the cabin door? tThat's been on my to-do list for a few years now and would like to fix it before I head South for the winter.

Also, anybody replace the gasket material on the cockpit drawers and tackle box storage doors?

I found some velcro straps at west marine which fit perfectly. I can take a picture of it tomorrow. Here is a link: https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--shorepower-cord-wraps--P009837105?recordNum=1 Don't recall if I got the 9" or the 14" offhand, but they are cheap enough and handy enough to get both.

re: gasket material, Taco makes some which I purchased at Defender. https://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|6880|2290165&id=2037791

Last edited:

georgemjr

Reaction score
compass likely under bathroom sink. A/C shouldn't drain into midship bilge, it should drain into shower sump which should be left on so that the sump bilge pump can pump a/c condensation overboard rather than letting it overflow into bilge.

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
It's now been a year of ownership, and still am loving the boat. Next up is replacing the AC pump. But other than the generator, everything else is sorted out and working. Working on updating all the lighting to LED, all that is left are the bow nav lights, the cabin reading lights, and the helm overhead light. Went with red LED for the courtesy lights, and it really makes a nice upgrade. Though I found that two of the 3 lights need new gaskets, and could use a new lens cover.

We've done a couple overnights in past couple of weeks, and my wife was wondering what people keep in the shallow storage bins behind the sink in the counter?

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
We keep plastic zip-loc bags in one of those. Not sure about the other, but they are not very deep so .. On the subject of batteries, I finally found a system that works well for us. My port bank of two batteries (#2 on the switch) consists of two Group 31 DC (deep cycle) batteries and my starboard bank of two batteries (#1 on the switch) consists of two Group 31 starting batteries. I run starboard engine and house (starboard switch) on #2 and port switch (port engine) on #1. For overnights I leave it that way so that the house load is on the deep cycle battery bank. We often run the generator until we go to bed and charge the batteries while it is on. Later we secure the generator and everything runs off the #2 deep cycle bank. If we run that bank down (hasn't happened yet) we still have the starting bank left unused. Deep cycles can handle the discharge cycle much better than the starting type and we are seeing longer battery life as a result.

Last edited:
Reactions: kirk a

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Anyone know the holding tank capacity on a 2009 330?
Not sure if they changed it, but it is 10 gals on my 2003. Go to Grady's web site and download the manual for your boat, that information will be in it.