36 express

Katsuwonus

Reaction score
So my wife and I decided to purchase a 40 Cabo fly (used) for family and fishing. Concerned about too much boat but good for offshore fishing out SIC NJ. We were at the beach this past weekend and there were boats anchored and some beached at a nearby inlet. Families were enjoying the beach with there boat right there. Almost like camping. So my wife and daughter loved the idea - a lot. Enough that when I told her that a Cabo 40 is too large for that they became disappointed. So is a GW 360 Express still too much of a boat to do that with as it is lighter and has outboard power? I think it would be plenty of boat for fishing tuna and bass and surely I would not mind a smaller boat. I would still prefer the Cabo for my uses but it appears that the smaller express maybe more fun and get more use. Please share your opinions. Thanks.

Dieler

Reaction score
Cabo's a beautiful boat, guessing you are powered with diesel inboards for her? In any event, that limits your draft as compared to the GW Express (360 being the flagship and a beauty as well). Believe the 40 Cabo draft is 41 inches whereas the GW 360 is 29 inches (with drives down I think), meaning at minimum you have a foot of water to play with on the GW versus the Cabo, maybe more when tilting up outboards on the GW. This gets you more comfortably closer to sandbars and shoals. If you want to fish the GW, well that is no issue - the 360 will get you out far and back safe if maintained (as with any boat). I have a friend with a Cabo similar to yours, diesel is a great option for very long trips and very far away fishing but the GW 360 has plenty of fuel capacity and can be powered in many configurations with outboards, the GW 360 is also heavy enough to tame most seas you will want to stomach. I have the 265 Express and want to move to the 330 (wish I could convince myself to spend on the 360) for purposes of gaining room without losing capability to get in close and fish offshore. I have researched many boats and keep coming back to the GW express platform as the perfect machine for a blend of family convenience and serious fishability.

In the end, everyone wants and needs a different platform based on their primary usage or blend of boating activity. Think you would not be disappointed in the 360 - can be maneuvered well and in relatively shallow water and doubt anyone could out-fish that beast, particularly if targeting tuna or bass in the Northeast. Best of luck in your decision

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Dieler is right..

I would only add as a person who loves to anchor on sandbars and the like..A 36' footer is a big boat to anchor close to shore in windy conditions or if a tidal current is present. It's one thing to hit the "down" toggle position on the windlass behind the helm and drop anchor and swing on the hook off the beach. It's quite another to swing the stern in, drop a secondary anchor and position the stern to the beach close enough to let the kids splash ashore with a boat that weighs 10,000 lbs. or more. Especially if you have other boats close by and strong winds and/or currents.

That said, tilt the engines up and you draft a couple feet or so. The wide cockpit, self-draining deck, freshwater hose, swim platform..all this makes a Grady a great fun platform for what you want to do.

Another alternative is to get the Cabo, or whatever fishing boat you desire and buy a cheaper Center Console that would be easier to horse around the shallows in the wind for your beach days.

Luck to 'Ya..

capeguy

Reaction score
MagicalBill is 100% right about anchoring up to a beach with a big boat. I do this quite often in a 282 Sailfish and I can tell you that is tough in wind, current with lots of boats. Very tough. However, I might say that with stright inboards it would be impossible for me as I need to get the engines up to get close.

You need to go stern in to the beach and with a 40" + draft you're practially swimming to shore...

Both beautiful boats..

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
I have a 360 ( for sale but only because I don't use it enough) and I can tell you that there is very little a Cabo 40 can do that the 360 won't. It'll give you more amenities for a long cruise but I've cruised 5 on my 360 for 8 days and it was very comfortable. As far as fishing you won't end up taking the Cabo out on a day you wouldn't take the 360 out unless you are really hard care. Sure it is bigger but truth is in that general size range they can both do what you want. On the drift the Grady will be much more comfortable and in a large head sea the Cabo will be better.

Both are great boats but I can tell you I take the 360 out by myself with zero issues all the time. The Cabo will be more work and might be a little much if you ever go out solo. I can take the 360 offshore pretty much nowhere the big boys go under reasonable conditions comfortably and it has the extra room below because of the outboards.

Don't get me wrong, the Cabo is fantastic but ease of use, running solo, The 360 wins. You cannot make a bad decision here one way or another but I absolutely love everything about the 360.

Best of luck in your search.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I also think you may be better with 2 boats. A larger boat wether it be the 40' Cabo or 36' Grady or 35' CC and a 23'-28' for the 'bar scene. If you're talking about the Barnegate area you have Tices which can be a parking lot plus the bars near the lighthouse which are fun but would be a nightmare in a large boat unless you get there early and are one of the last to leave.

pablor

Reaction score
I have a 360 express for the exact reasons you are posting. I fish with the big boys in any sea my stomach will endure and also take the kids to sand bars etc. that being said, as everyone else said, it is not the same to pull up to a sandbar with a 36 ft boat. The curtains act like a big sail and you have to be careful with tides as you don't want to get stuck with a 10k lbs boat. I usually stay on the boat while the kids play because I just don't trust the boat staying put on a real windy day with changing tides. It is not the same as a CC that you beach on the sand.

On the other hand, it is the best compromise for my situation as I would never consider owning two boats. If I had inboard diesel engines, I would use the boat half of what it is used with outboards. Or less...