4 Stroke Motor Winterized Should it Smoke when I start it

BillR

Reaction score
Hello all:

I had my 4 Stroke Yamaha 250 winterized by the marina, i was not there when they did it. Last week I started it up for the first time and expected to see it smoke but it didn't. I call the marina and they said 4 strokes don't smoke like 2 strokes. Is that true, or was it just not winterized?
I am new to the boating world. Thanks in advance for all your help.

They said they use a mixture of marvels mystery oil.

Bill

no problem

Reaction score
It's a "mystery" to me why they didn't use a marine fogging spray. Mixture of mystery oil and what? I think i would find out what they did and how they did it, then take my business elsewhere. Personally I fog the engine through the spark plug holes so the rings don't stick to the pistons or bores. That generally smokes at first start up. In my opinion if you didn't get that done you didn't get winterized. Oh and for fun call Yamaha and ask how to winterize with a mystery oil mixture. I'm guessin it's a waranty no-no. Just my $.02

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I "summerized" an F150 last year and fogged the cylinders with Yamaha fogging oil. I was very surprised when it didn't smoke at all when I fired it up for the first time in September. The fogging oil must be designed to burn completely.

Lainie J

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Winterize

My F225's smoke for less than a minute when first starting in the spring. It is noticable though, white smoke. I am in the Northeast so i spray fogging oil in the air intakes until the motors smoke heavily then turn off. I then spray each cylinder, so i have allot of fogging oil in the motors. There is no way they cannot smoke. Maybe they do it differently in warmer climates.