5200, 4200 or something else

A

Anonymous

I'm in the process of replacing the thru hulls on my Spirit 175 and I have to remove the rod box. I noticed a white flexible sealer on the rod boxes that is not a good seal. Any suggestions on what to use when I replace the rod box?

Thanks

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Sealant

I have used them all and they each have a place. Here are my rules.

5200 for below water line stuff.

4200 is almost as permenant as 5200 and easier to work with (dries quick). I use this for most everything. Good adhesive properties.

High quality bath and tub silicone I use to caulk the decking. It is removable. Mold resistant. Not as good as an adhesive.

Paint thinner for cleanup. Mask off area and pull tape within a few minuites. Gloves and lots of paper towels and rags!

5200 on thru hull. I would probably use the 4200 on rod box. Grady uses a lot of silicone and that is probably what you have now on the rod box now. If it flexes at all the silicone is just not good enough.

Brad1

Reaction score
Per 3m, 4200 and 5200 have identical sealant properties. 5200 exceeds 4200 as an adhesive however.

When components are held together via mechanical faster and no chemical adhesive is required for bonding the componemnts then 4200 is the appropriate sealant. When an adhesive is necessary for coupling the components then 5200 is the appropriate choice.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Lifecaulk and Lifeseal (in the black & yellow tubes.)
I would not recommend 5200 for the thru-hulls if you plan on ever changing them again. Check the curing rates. I believe the 4000 is by ambient temp. and the 4200 & 5200 are relative humidity.
I found customers always asked for 5200, regardless of the project. 5200 is a catch phrase, everyone is familiar with it but it is not necessarily the best or appropriate for every project.
What ever product you decide on, allow it to set (skin over like when you leave the cap off the toothpaste) for a few minutes before torqueing it down so it doesn't all smear out.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm not sure about 4X00 but 5200 can be installed under water. If you know or even think you'll have to remove the item, don't use 5200. It'll come loose but not without work.

blackdiamond296

Reaction score
For a job like the rod box, 4200 is the right choice. Lifechalk or BoatLife will also do, but IMHO 4200 is a better product. Also, for underwater applications (ie- thruhulls) 5200 is the ONLY way to go. When it comes to sealing a hole in the bottom of my boat, I don't care how hard it is to take apart later- I want it to be that way!

Brad1

Reaction score
4200 and 5200 are both for use below the water line. Again, 5200 and 4200 share the same SEALANT properties. ADHESION is where the two differ.

busterblue

Reaction score
So it was YOU and not one of the kids...

plymouthgrady said:
Lifecaulk and Lifeseal (in the black & yellow tubes.)
(skin over like when you leave the cap off the toothpaste) .

:roll:

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Buster,
what seems to be the confusion?
http://www.boatlife.com/
you know, there are excellent products outside the 3M family and some of us on here actually kind of know what we're talking about.

busterblue

Reaction score
not confused PG

Just blaming you for leaving the top off the toothpaste. The kid's told me they didn't do it and I didn't believe them. Thought what I was talking about was actually kind of obvious. Sorry to have struck a nerve.
Happy Holidays

busterblue

Reaction score
no problem

just try and remember to put the cap back on and we won't have any more problems.

I know it's tough keeping our sense of humor during these dark months.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
5200 vs. 4200

Everyone has cabin fever. 12 posts on the board about sealant and December has just begun. What are we going to talk about in February? We need a thread or two about fishing South.

A

Anonymous

Thank you for all the input. I'm putting in metal thru hulls this time (original were PVC) and I'm hoping I NEVER have to replace. Two are in a god awful location and must be replaced by a triple jointed human being with 3 hands.