8 Month Follow-Up, Etec 150 G1 on 1983 Seafarer

Boomhauer

Reaction score
I previously posted some reports from my first few trips out with the new G1 150. As I mentioned before,I was uncertain about the performance I would get from this combination.
However, just as in the first few times out, the boat performed awesome.... at least for my goals. I have had it out 4 or 5 times, heavily loaded for diving, and it hasn't lugged at all, even in heavy seas.
I have no idea of top end since I never get it over 4500 rpms. In truth, I don't care about top end. I just want it to get the load out of the hole and have some kick in the heavy following seas, etc.

In Summary, even though the conventional wisdom would say that seafarers, would need 225-250hp....... I don't think this is the case at all. Maybe, if you need to hit 45 mph, then you might need that much. Otherwise, for the older Seafarers, the
Etec 150 G1 is a nice light weight match, and very economical on the initial price and cost of running.

As a side note, the V6 GI's aren't as quiet at idle as the 4S's, but it have a nice low tone, almost like a V8 car engine.

Good Luck

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks for the follow-up. With the shortage of Yamaha and some Mercury motors, gives folks some info on another option for re-power.

steveditt

Reaction score
I repowered this season a 1998 208 with an Etec 150 HP HO G1 replacing 175 2 stroke Yamaha with hydraulic steering very pleased faster top end and out of the hole, will install trim tabs this winter with auto stable .

ElMar

Reaction score
I have owned Yamaha four strokes in the past. Twin F200s that had the corrosion issue. Have also owned a 200 hp G1 etec as well as currently own a 60hp G1 etec. As well as many other outboard.

For ease of maintenance, weigh savings, general power etc.

The Etec wins hands down. Such a nice simple product that does what it’s supposed to. I would not hestate to repower any Grady with that choice. They sip oil too. Not having to change 4 stroke stuff is a win win in my book. With a pair of big diesels to maintain, my outboard boats need to be generally maintenance free.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Definitely will consider when the repower time arrives.