80 Grady Offshore transom repair

justadude

Reaction score
Transom repair with pics is almost finished. I hired it out at considerable cost. Because of this i decided to finish the project myself. I have to install the 2 back battery boxes and live fish wells which probably will be glassed in place.

My question is how to make this look as good as the new transom, which looks beautiful!!!!

Here is the link for the before and after project pics

http://s1204.photobucket.com/home/justadude902/index

gw204

Reaction score
I would use this as an opportunity to redesign the layout of those wells. I had the same setup in my old 204 and in my 17 Mako...and it's stupid. In my opinion, the wells are too small to be of any real use. Well...you can fit a few flounder in there...and a bunch of beers.

You could probably take the existing pieces and stand them up to create smaller boxes that run from the floor all the way up to the gunwales. Put your batteries in the very bottom of each and make them accessible through hatches. Mount some cutting boards or rod holders on the top after you get them all glassed in. Does that make sense?

I never did anyting about it in my 204, but I cut them out of my Mako because they took up so much valuable cockpit space.

basswacker

Reaction score
I am so glad that you posted this! I am close to buying (http://www.boattrader.com/listing/-1980 ... e-97160650) a 1980 offshore but it has a metal support bracket and Im hesitant about it. The previous owner had a 300hp on it and he says he added it just to be safe. There isn't any signs of cracking like there was on yours but that dosent mean there couldn't be water rotting out the transom right? How long did it take to replace the transom? If you dont mind me asking how much did it cost?
Thanks for your help
Matt