85 Seafarer 227 -fuel tank life

jeffump18

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a 1985 Seafarer 227 with original 93 Gal tank that I bought a few months ago. Mint condition, but what is the shelf life of the aluminum tank. Should I be looking to replace soon? Aluminum or plastic, o.e. or aftermarket? Labor involved? Any help would be appreciated. No problems, but trying to anticipate. Thanks

gw204

Reaction score
Replacement inverval...some people say 10 years, some say 15, some say when it starts leaking. There is no real "right" answer. The only sure way to determine the condition of the tank is to pull it out and look for areas of pitting and/or pinholes. It's not a terribly hard job to yank that thing out.

I would say your hoses are on borrowed time though...

gradydriver

Reaction score
yes I agree with GW204...if your tank and hoses are not having problems they will soon...you are on borrowed time.

JeffN

Reaction score
I replaced my original gas fill and vent hose last year. Their condition was not bad, after what I had read on the forums I figured them to be close to dust. I was glad I replaced them but they were not too bad looking and they all came out in one piece. No large cracks or leaking. On boats the age of of ours it is best to be proactive. Change those hoses and check the tank. My fuel tank is fine so far.

jeffump18

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks, the last owner replaced the hoses & they look fine. I'll pull up the hatches after the season & get a feel for how to replace the tank. Its the only thing that worries me due to the age. The boat is in great condition. Appreciate the wisdom of the group.