9.9 yamaha kicker water flow interuption

Lew

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a 1997 voyage with a 0x66 250 and a 9.9 4strole yamaha kicker that I have been using more latley. I like the gas mileage and quiteness for harbor tours and watching sailboat races. I used the motor for about 4hrs. today and it stopped peeing (water flow) It has happened before and I was told to take a paper clip and stick in the hole and clean it out. It worked fine when I did this a few times before. Today I used the paper clip but could not get a steady strong stream. We shut the engine down because there was a little steam coming out, checked the oil which was full and looked clear and not burnt. One of the guys on the boat who knows more about engines than me thinks it might be and impeller (water pump). I would be interested in any opinions. Also I called my local Grady dealer and they said that installing an impeller could not be done on the water. I dont hall it out myself so that would add more money. Any ideas appreciated. Lew

jellyfish

Reaction score
you need to stick an air hose in it and try blowing it out. That should work if its plugged.

Fishtales

Reaction score
when was the last pump change? If more than 3-4 years, then I'd take it in for service.

Lew

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have a friend who has a compressed air container and we are starting there to see if there is a blockage. Next we will try the thermostat and lastly haul the boat and get new water pump. :uhm