97 Yamaha SWII 150 low compression one cylinder

mac83

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Yesterday, I was tuning up my motor to get it ready for new season. Before we started, we ran a quick compression test. All cylinders were 120 PSI except bottom port side read 110 PSI. I know that if it’s within 10%, it should ok. I’m looking for some wisdom from the thread on what you would do. I’d love to be able to get a couple more years on it but I have to have reliability and this motor has been nothing but!

Thanks I’m advance.

seasick

Reaction score
The two lower cylinders on the SX motor has lower compression by design. I would expect a little lower reading in a perfect world on 2 cylinders. That said, a reading of 120 psi for all but one cylinder and 110 for the other is excellent for a motor that is almost 24 years old. To be honest, there isn't much you can do at this point to extend it's life. t is already extended:) Just keep the maintenance up, use decent gas, continue to add a carbon cleaner like ring free if you have been. ( If a carbon cleaner has not been added in the past, doing it now may not help all that much but it won't hurt.

Reactions: PointedRose

mac83

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Thanks so much! I’ve run i
Ring free plus additive religiously since I’ve owned it. I’m not ready bite the bullet yet or a 4 stroke

Topjimmy

Reaction score
My 1994 SW 150 is around 115-120 all cylinders for the last 10 years and runs great and probably will for the next few years these motors are TOUGH! although gas guzziling Stinkers

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Yup - you're good. I woudn't worry about it one bit. It's very common for all of the cylinders to NOT be the same - even brand new ones can be different - even 6 different readings.